Monopod

timlair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need advice on a good monopod. Not too many reviews that i can find out there...Doesnt matter on the prices. Just could use your suggestions.

Hey, ther'es one that Manfroto makes which is like $30-$40 range and it's really good quality. I saw it at penncamera.com so check it out there. I forget the model but I am looking to buy that.

I would look on line at the various retailers and see what their users are saying. I had seen one that I was interested in on B & H but realized a tripod would probably be better for me. There is a unique monopod by techtrek (spelling ?) that has feet that come out but it is extremely expensive IMO and it has mixed reviews.

Unfortunately, my largest lens doesn't have a tripod mount on it and I only have a tripod mount on the camera itself, which is why I decided against the monopod - I felt it may not be balanced enough and without a ball head kind of limiting.

Hey, ther'es one that Manfroto makes which is like $30-$40 range and it's really good quality. I saw it at penncamera.com so check it out there. I forget the model but I am looking to buy that.

After your post I had the thought process that went like this. Monopod -> Ball head -> quick release. And found a few good ones at Adorama. In case you were still looking.

Thanks! I think I was talking about this one (but I saw it at their store)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-790B-Modo-Photo-Video-Monopod/dp/B000FA7PQC]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 790B Modo Photo-Video Monopod: Camera & Photo[/ame]

But it's really odd that it says it's only 1 KG support! If that is true, I might go with this one instead. This says 10 KG support. I wonder if the other one was a typo.

http://www.penncamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Manfrotto-679-Monopod-%283-Sctn%29-%28Top-Selling-TripodsDSLR-Accessories-Under-%24100%29-monopod&catalog[product_guids][0]=939173b5-9fd5-4475-8767-f20ed5453abd

I need advice on a good monopod. Not too many reviews that i can find out there...Doesnt matter on the prices. Just could use your suggestions.

The best one I have seen or used cost me $16.00 at Walmart. It is 67 1/4 tall also. I am 6'4'' and can use it with out squatting much. It adjusts lower also.

Also makes a great walking stick for rough footing locations.

You don't need to spend much. Check all the Targets, Kmarts etc.

Click on the picture The current one is $18.71 but is only 56" tall.
Vanguard Lightweight Monopod With Ball Panhead Vanguard Lightweight Monopod With Ball Panhead

• 20mm leg diameter; 4 expandable sections, with spiked feet
  • Shaped foam grip for comfortable operation
Model#: MP-2

PS THEY ARE GREAT FOR HOLDING THE TIMER SET CAMERA ABOVE THE CROWDS FOR PARADES AND THE LIKE.

Last edited:
.........After your post I had the thought process that went like this. Monopod -> Ball head -> quick release. And found a few good ones at Adorama.

Thanks for the recommendation :D - very much appreciated.

BTW don't forget that I'm only ever an email away for advice and after-sales support!

NB Don't forget that we are entering our Autumn holiday season kicking off tomorrow (Wednesday September 8th) when we close early, re-opening on Sunday. So please check our website over the next few weeks if you have an urgent order to place.

walmart has a targus one with no head for like $10 or something close to that.

A consideration I made was to buy a head that allows for the same plate on your camera and lenses. I have a manfrotto as my main tripod and bought another brand monopod. Took it out and realized I had to switch plates. Then I popped on the 300mm lens and had to take the only mono plate off the camera, remove the second manfrotto plate from the lens and... You get the idea. I returned it the same day and picked up a manfrotto monopod with a compatible head.

The other thing to consider is to look for a monopod that doesn't have a lot of flex in the shaft.

If a need for a monopod arises and you haven't got one with you...in a pinch you can use your tripod, just extend one leg and leave the rest folded. Not ideal, but good in a pinch.

What are you putting on it gear wise. This is my choice, but I'm putting a 400mm f2.8 and a 1D Mk IV on it.
Gitzo GM5541 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod - Supports 55 lbs GM5541 -

As for a ball head I would suggest that you forget using a ball head and put something like this on it instead.
Really Right Stuff - B2-Pro II with 1/4-20 screw - Kit Configuration Page
Ad the proper arca-swiss foot to your lens mount or if you want to mount a body get one of these for your particular camera body. Really Right Stuff ... Quick-Release Camera Body L-Plates

When you mount a camera on a ball head and then flip the ball to the side to put the body into portrait mode you effectively defeat the purpose of the monopod by shifting the weight off center.

Last edited:
walmart has a targus one with no head for like $10 or something close to that.

I use just such a monopod and it does quite nicely with my heavy combo of 7D + grip + 70-200 2.8 IS. You really can't beat 10$.

46535_933330965134_3328625_50956822_2607178_n.jpg

I bought a $40.00 Dynex monopod from BestBuy.

The thing about monopods, as opposed to tripods, is that with a monopod, you still must have your hand on it at all times. Therefore many of the things that make spending mucho dinero on a tripod worthwhile, don't apply nearly as much with a monopod.

Most reactions

Back