Month-long Iceland Backpack trip. Equipment Recommendations for Documentaries++++?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I'll be backpacking through Iceland mid-July to mid-August, 2012. My plan is to produce the following while I'm there:
  • Documentary on the population of Reykjavik, and a few other cities
  • Documentary/Travel log of our trek, including some voice
  • Photo series documenting the landscapes, etc, etc
So, for the photo series, I was thinking about bringing the following equipment:
  • Nikon D300s/D400/D800 (depending what comes out between now and then)
  • Nikon D60IR 720nm
  • Tokina 11-16/2.8 (will still work splendidly on the D800 in DX mode if it's indeed 36MP)
  • Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 OS or Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8
  • Nikon 300mm F/4 or Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8 or Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8
  • Sigma 180mm F/3.5 or any 100-105mm F/2.8 Macro to save space in the bag
  • Various Filters
    • CPOL
    • Grad NDs
    • Variable ND (see justification later)
  • Tripod*
For the interviews and video parts of the documentaries:
  • Sigma 50mm F/1.4 or Sigma 85mm F/1.4
  • Variable ND (justified)
  • Some sort of microphone*
  • Some sort of sound recording device*
So, you can clearly see what I need your assistance with. All of the items that have the word "or" in them, or (*) at the end of it, I need your advice.

For the Sigma vs. Nikon 17-50(55), This is purely for price. If I have enough money in the end, I will go with the Nikon. If not, I will go with the Sigma. No biggie here.

For the Nikon 300/4 vs 80-200/2.8, I'm just undecided. For optical quality, I really think the 300/4 wins. I just can't really see why I would need the variable focal length over the extra reach. As far as Icelandic wildlife goes, there's not really much to say. There's puffins (among 74 other bird species), reindeer, arctic fox, and sheep. MANY, MANY sheep. So, I think I will need the 300/4 over the 80-200/2.8. What say you? As for the 80-200 vs 70-200, this is purely a cost deal as well. If I have the money to, I will go with the 70-200. If not, I will keep my 80-200.

For the Sigma 50/1.4 vs 85/1.4, this is a price issue as well. If I have the money for the 85/1.4, I will go with that and bring my Nikon 50/1.8 as well. I wouldn't be totally against selling my Nikon 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 to bring both the Sigma 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 (if I had the money for the 85/1.8 to begin with). But, that seems a little redundant and unnecessary. I'm not completely adverse to the Nikon 85/1.8, either. It just adds another wrench in the system. So, any advice you could give me here for interviews, I would greatly appreciate it. It's tough because I don't know if I will have an FX or DX camera to be working with. So, this is what I have to work with: Nikon 35mm F/1.8, Nikon 50mm F/1.8, Sigma 50mm F/1.4, Nikon 85mm F/1.8, Sigma 85mm F/1.4. I currently own the Nikon 50/1.8D and 35/1.8G. I hate the bokeh on the 50/1.8D stopped down. So, I really don't want to bring that one. I want something that I can easily blur the background with, but still keep good sharpness on the subject. I'm not against any old, off-brand, fully manual lenses for video purposes, as long as it's not nearly as expensive as any of these lenses (might as well buy them if that's the case), and I can buy a suitable mount adapter.

As for the Tripod, I will be using the tripod for mainly the video portions of the documentaries. So, I will have a fluid head on it. I have the Manfrotto 055xb right now. This weighs 5lb. If you could recommend a tripod that would save on both weight and folded size, I would be forever grateful. I would like it to either be able to go low enough for macro work, or have a reversible center column. It doesn't have to extend very tall, but I would like it to be able to get at least 5' tall. The taller the better, of course, but it's not a necessity. So, please feel free to recommend any legs you think may work. Please try to stay under $450 if possible. It needs to be rugged enough to be slammed around (There's alot of rocks in Iceland, and sh** happens. :lol:), and light enough to not break my back.

The audio is the hard part. I have never worked with any kind of externally recorded audio. I honestly don't know much about it, and am starting to do my research now. So, I'd like your help finding a suitable microphone type and sound recording device. I'm thinking a shotgun microphone would be best, as it's awfully windy for the most part in Iceland. So, I'm thinking some sort of shotgun mic and a rabbit's foot (I believe it's called). But, like I said, I'm not very experienced in this dept. For the sound recorder (what the sound gets saved to), I have no idea where to start, or what the differences are between most of them. So, any help here will be greatly appreciated.

So, I think that about covers it. If you've made it this far, I thank you, and assume you can give me advice :). If there's anything you think I've missed (besides batteries and memory cards, of course, please let me know that as well. For the record, it will be myself and two other people (non-photographers), so the gear can be split between the trio of us to carry if need be.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mark

The nikon 105mm 2.8D micro is a great lens (the older version). As for the 300mm f4/ 70-200 2.8 tossup, why not grab a 70-200 and converter? With a 1.4tc you only go to f3.5 as your max, and reach about 280mm (which with the crop of the D400 or D300s is 420mm, which is still quite a great reach, and gives you the ability to zoom, whereas you'll be stuck at 300 with the 300mm f4. And what about a bag/backpack/case? I use a pelican 1650 to travel with, and a Domke F2 which easily holds a flash, 80-200, body with grip, 105mm 2.8, 28mm prime and 50mm prime. With side pockets to spare.

As for the audio and such, i have no suggestions as i myself am not very into video. And for filters, are you getting the square cokin filters? Personally, i would rather use the cokin setup with the plate filters, for ease of use, and the fact that you can turn the GND to any angle, and easily stack filters with less falloff than a round filter. And the set of adapters allows the same filter to be used on all size lenses (saving the money!)

Regards,
Jake

I know about the Nikon 105/2.8. If I get a different macro lens (already own the 180/3.5), it won't be a Nikon. I honestly think they're just too expensive for me, as I've already got the 180, and I won't need the VR because of the tripod. I don't plan on seeing many tiny critters. I'd just need it for macro video.

You make a good point about the 70-200 + TC. How do you think the IQ would compare to the 300/4 bare?

As for the bag, I've got quite a few. I've got the Tamrac 5612 Pro 12, which easily holds everything in my signature, plus extra space. I also have the Lowepro Nova 200 which now holds my D300s, D60, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Nikon 35/1.8G, 50/1.8D, Sigma 180/3.5, Tokina 11-16/2.8, and EITHER my Nikon 80-200/2.8 OR 300/4. But, for my trip, my equipment will have to be incorporated into my hiking backpack. Or my supplies will have to be incorporated into my photo bag (not a problem if I got a huge one, which may just be the case. Not sure yet.).

Yes, I will be using the Cokin series of filters. Everything besides the variable ND and the CPOL filter will be Cokin X- or P-series filters. I currently have the P-series filter holder and 77mm filter ring with step down rings, but no filters.

Thanks!
Mark

I probably should have also mentioned that I'd like to have this mostly decided ASAP, so I know what my saving plans and future purchase schedule should be relatively like.Mark

Perhaps a 13" Macbook Pro deserves mention

I have a 15" macbook pro I could bring. But, what good would it be? I won't have any electricity to charge it after the 5 or so hours of use it would stay alive for.

Mark

I have a 15" macbook pro I could bring. But, what good would it be? I won't have any electricity to charge it after the 5 or so hours of use it would stay alive for.

Mark

My bad, thought a laptop may serve not only as a laptop but as the recording and documentary tool as well. I thought it may charge wherever any recording device or cameras/lighting may charge. I was way off
bigthumb.gif

Lol. Recording devices, etc all go on batteries. A good stock of batteries is what will be keeping them going. There will literally be no electricity for the entirety of the 2.5 weeks I'll be backpacking. :lol:. So, I'll be relying on a good stock of DSLR batteries for the recording. I'm hoping the Nikon SB910 has a recording light. If not, the lighting will only be natural.

I should have mentioned that 3/4 of my trip will be in the highlands, fjords, etc. So, no electricity for the most part, and most important part, of the trip. :)

Mark

You should be able to shoot at F4 24/7 at that time of the year, what about a small solar panel for charging it should charge through the night

Why would I want to shoot at F/4 for landscapes? :lol:

I'll look into the solar panels, but most of them just don't seem to be effective enough for me to warrant carrying them around. It sure would be nice, though. I'll do a bit more research. Thanks!

Mark

One more time. I'd really like some help with tripod recommendations, and advice on the sound recording equipment for the video.

Thanks!
Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back