Month-long Iceland Backpack trip. Equipment Recommendations for Documentaries++++?

Why would I want to shoot at F/4 for landscapes? :lol:

I'll look into the solar panels, but most of them just don't seem to be effective enough for me to warrant carrying them around. It sure would be nice, though. I'll do a bit more research. Thanks!

Mark

Because you mentioned 300F4, why would you want to shoot landscapes with a 300mm :lol:

For the Nikon 300/4 vs 80-200/2.8, I'm just undecided. For optical quality, I really think the 300/4 wins. I just can't really see why I would need the variable focal length over the extra reach. As far as Icelandic wildlife goes, there's not really much to say. There's puffins (among 74 other bird species), reindeer, arctic fox, and sheep. MANY, MANY sheep. So, I think I will need the 300/4 over the 80-200/2.8. What say you? As for the 80-200 vs 70-200, this is purely a cost deal as well. If I have the money to, I will go with the 70-200. If not, I will keep my 80-200.

I see how your comment could be relevant now, for the sheep and whatnot. :lol:

Mark

For the Nikon 300/4 vs 80-200/2.8, I'm just undecided. For optical quality, I really think the 300/4 wins. I just can't really see why I would need the variable focal length over the extra reach. As far as Icelandic wildlife goes, there's not really much to say. There's puffins (among 74 other bird species), reindeer, arctic fox, and sheep. MANY, MANY sheep. So, I think I will need the 300/4 over the 80-200/2.8. What say you? As for the 80-200 vs 70-200, this is purely a cost deal as well. If I have the money to, I will go with the 70-200. If not, I will keep my 80-200.

I see how your comment could be relevant now, for the sheep and whatnot. :lol:

Mark

There will be more wildlife than you think

Congrats on your trip. I have never done such long time backpacking trip.
Have you done it before? I assume you already know it. The weight could be #1 concern. The food, fuel and backpacking gears can easily go up to 45lbs. How much extra weight for camera gears are you willing to carry?

Richard: The gear will be split between three people. All of the camping supplies will be separated accordingly, and I will carry my photo gear. So, the weight between the three of us shouldn't be too bad for a sleeping bag, stove, food, odds and ends, clothes, and my camera gear. The other two of us aren't photographers, so they'll have alot of room in their packs to carry camping supplies, etc. The longest trip I've taken was one week in Yellowstone, and this was before I carried photo gear. So, split between the three of us, weight shouldn't be too big of a problem.

GsGary: Well, that's nice to know.

Mark

So, split between the three of us, weight shouldn't be too big of a problem.
That would be great to have friends go with you. Have fun and shoot tons of photos.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back