Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

Waxing gibbous moon late afternoon with the Bigma + ec 20, full frame, resized.

Moon1000mm_filtered.jpg

Cheers, Don

wow...I must say I've never taken a moon shot before. I like it alot. Especially the afternoon shot. After taking it @ 1000mm...are you still cropping these?

camz
Simply Dashy Photography

Honestly I was expecting a little more detail/size from 1000mm. The shot is nice though, exposure seems pretty good.

Honestly I was expecting a little more detail/size from 1000mm. The shot is nice though, exposure seems pretty good.

As to the "size". Well, 500mm x 2 TC x 2 crop factor is the 35mm equivalent of 2000mm. I was quite pleased that the moon nicely fit the frame.

Not so pleased with the detail. Since I've just recently received this lens I don't know what to expect. I do know that a 50-200mm + ec 20 heavily cropped resulted in more detail and contrast. But that image was taken when the temperature was just above freezing and on a relatively clearer and calm night.

I should have and may still shoot both lenses at the same time.

Perhaps someone who has the Bigma will chime in on whether or not these results are to be expected ??

The image was shot with a Slik Pro 700 DX tripod, Jobu Jr 2 gimbal head and wireless shutter release. There was a moderate breeze which may have contributed to the softness or it may just be an AF issue. Don't think my "older" eyes are up to a better job with MF :)

Cheers, Don

wow, that's an unusual shot) you've managed to reach the moon!

F12.6 may be your issue. 12.6? wtf? :lol:

What kind of lens is that?

Anyway, shooting closer to wide open might help? Less refraction around the blades? Just a thought.

F12.6 may be your issue. 12.6? wtf? :lol:

What kind of lens is that?

Anyway, shooting closer to wide open might help? Less refraction around the blades? Just a thought.

Obviously you haven't read the whole thread.

The lens is the Bigma, Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM , I'm using it with a ec 20 teleconverter which is a X2. This combination wide open is f 12.6.

The reason I'm doing this is because I have read it is difficult to get good results with this combination :mrgreen:

Cheers, Don

I used to shoot Astrophotography. I remember the first time I got a shot of the milky way around Sagittarius. It was so exciting. I have some old moon shots with Saturn in the picture as well. I need to scan those and pop them up here. IT would def stir up some commotion for those who have never seen Saturn before. What ISO you shooting at? Are you mounted on a tripod or hand held? You should try stacking exposures. Similar to the HDR technique but stacking the same exposure lengths would yield better detail.
Cheers....

^^^ ya, seems like hand held if hes using image stab. Why are you not taking these on a tripod? It just doesnt seem sharp against the sky, even in the night shot.

I love both, great shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back