Moon+Camera+Otters and things of such nature!

Heck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
heck.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking the other day about the Apollo moon landing and what kinda cameras they had with them. I did some searching on the “interweb” and found out the main one was a Hasselblad 500 EL made with a bracket to lock on to the chest pack. I'm thinking why no tri pods? And how can a camera take a trip like that and not fail? If I take my D40x on a plane too much I hear it would get screwed up after a while. How many back ups would you take on a trip like that? And why no photos of otters? No trip is complete without otters!

I was thinking the other day about the Apollo moon landing and what kinda cameras they had with them. I did some searching on the “interweb” and found out the main one was a Hasselblad 500 EL made with a bracket to lock on to the chest pack. I'm thinking why no tri pods? And how can a camera take a trip like that and not fail? If I take my D40x on a plane too much I hear it would get screwed up after a while. How many back ups would you take on a trip like that? And why no photos of otters? No trip is complete without otters!

Moon Otters are not indigenous to the Sea of Tranquility. They are only found on the dark side of the moon (which is why you never see them in photos...)

I'm guessing no tripod due to the massive weight limitations imposed on them (though I could be very wrong). And as far as the Hasselblad not breaking, I dunno. Though I'm sure some MF guru will come in and tell you the reason is because its a Hasselblad :)

Probably because the camera is mechanical. My Nikon FE would never fail because of a plane trip. errr unless I check my luggage and fly British Airways.

As there's lower gravity on the moon - Would a tripod work in the same way as on Earth or would it sorta move way more easily if bumped etc? Also I spose in a space suit they may be harder to manipulate?

As there's lower gravity on the moon - Would a tripod work in the same way as on Earth or would it sorta move way more easily if bumped etc? Also I spose in a space suit they may be harder to manipulate?

Yeah ... the astronauts had on thick gloves that prevented them from being able to perform tasks that required fine manual dexterity. Why would you go to the trouble of hooking up a camera to a tripod when it can more easily be mounted to your chest. Remember, these were shots done during the MORNING, IN DAYLIGHT on the moon. You don't need a tripod. Exposures were about the same as daylight on Earth. NTN (No Tripod Needed)

Yeah ... the astronauts had on thick gloves that prevented them from being able to perform tasks that required fine manual dexterity. Why would you go to the trouble of hooking up a camera to a tripod when it can more easily be mounted to your chest. Remember, these were shots done during the MORNING, IN DAYLIGHT on the moon. You don't need a tripod. Exposures were about the same as daylight on Earth. NTN (No Tripod Needed)

I bet they needed a good UV filter... :)

I bet they needed a good UV filter... :)

They had adequate protection. But the fact that UV photographs of the sky taken by the Apollo missions exist is one piece of irrefutable evidence that's often used to disprove hoax conspiracy theories.

They had adequate protection. But the fact that UV photographs of the sky taken by the Apollo missions exist is one piece of irrefutable evidence that's often used to disprove hoax conspiracy theories.

Has anyone ever told you you're really smart? Cause you are. I'm just saying.

Now there's a marketing campaign for Hoya or Tiffen. "Our UV filters are so good, they work... IN SPACE!"

I'd buy one and use it, even if I had a filter of the other brand.

I found this video that may explain what astrostu may be talking about.

Cliff notes...Lots of info and stupid dance music but explains uv photos from the moon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back