What's new

Moon over Mountain

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken in Mt. Rainier National Park. I don't think the mountain is Mt. Rainier itself. The first two are single images, but the last is an HDR. Which version do you like best? I can't really decide!

1.


IMG_8327 by RxForB3, on Flickr

2.


IMG_8333 by RxForB3, on Flickr

3.


IMG_8354_5_6 by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
I like the last one the most. I just wish that snow was a little brighter.
 
Ask and you shall receive. When I originally edited it, it was a balancing act between the mountain and the detail in the moon. With a little help from the burn tool in lightroom, I may have a happier medium. What do you think?


Moon over Rainier by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
I like image #3 as it is, being up on the mountain all the time it seems more natural for the light to fall off like it is. I think when you reprocessed it it lost some of the richness of the sky. Try to work the snow, but only slightly, on a separate layer so it does not affect the sky and I think it would be the winner of the bunch.
 
I agree with what you say Tony S. I think the reedit looks closer to what it actually looked like in person. It was daylight, after all. Still about 20 minutes to sunset. But the reedit loses some of the drama in the sky.

This was the first time I even used the burn tool, and unfortunately I only have Lightroom 3. Is there a good way to try using Lightroom? Basically do what I did using burn, but start with image 3 and dodge the snow instead?
 
Can you bring back the sky but keep the light colored snow? would it look normal?
 
I'm not really sure. I'm fairly new to the post processing side of things. I used photomatix to do the HDR initially, but I don't think there is really a way to achieve that look with that program by itself. The problem I have with Lightroom is separating the sky from the mountain. I could possibly burn the sky as a whole like I did with the moon, but I'm not sure how natural I could make it look.
 
Try using the brush tool to only select the sky
 
I'll have to give it another shot, but I don't think it'd be very easy to do with the brush tool (can't select a section as far as I know, as you can in Photoshop). But might work with time and effort!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom