Moon Photography?

barfastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are like 50 billion moon photos on this forum, but i have a great opportunity to get some nice shots tonight (got a 75-300mm lens, tripod and its going to be a full moon followed by a lunar eclipse), and i was looking for some insight on what settings to use.

from what ive read, people like using low ISO, low f-stop (f/4 or f/8) and setting their exposure time from there.

Am i heading in the right direction? are there any other bits of information or help you gurus can dish out so i can get a nice shot of it?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Remember that the mood is lit by direct sunlight, so to properly expose for it, you would set a similar exposure as you would for something lit by midday sunlight. So that is why I've heard a few people recommend starting with the 'sunny 16 rule. F16 with the same number for ISO and shutter speed....ISO 100 and 1/100 (or close to that).

You are correct about iso 100
but wrong about the aperture

set your camera to Aperture Priority
set to around f8 - f16
Set your WB to Daylight
Set ISO 100
EV i put to around -1/3 (if you have a canon 450D you go into the menu then custom func. then change the EV stop to 3rds.)
then frame up and shoot (using spot metering)

also i took some moon shots the otherday (never followed my rules though lol) with a 75-300mm
it doesn't get very close tbh
You need a much longer zoom (between 600 - 1000mm) or a telecovnerter to get the sort of shots you see on here with the Texture intact

my camera is a sony a350, but what im hoping is to be able to crop and amgnify the image, as its 14MP... i guess ill have to try it out and see! if i cant get an image i like or get it large enough, that gives more of a reason to buy a teleconverter :p

ok so extra things to set up is spot metering, and exposure compensation, and getting the right white balance.

any thing else i might need to know?

I find I have to play around every time I decide to shoot the moon, the same setting never works all the time. I can go from f/11 to f/16 and 1/180 to 1/500 all at ISO 200. That's the beauty of digital, you can fine tune to your hearts content and just pick what looks best when you upload.

ok so i got some pics, although not as close as i would want.... and the focus is a little off as well. Even though i had a tripod it was EXTREMELY windy and no matter where i set up my rig it would almost always shake a little.... the best result i had was from a handheld... but i havent uploaded it anywhere yet.

Seems i did need a teleconverter or a lens with a larger zoom factor... :(

Nice tutorial! This is something I've been trying to do for a while with no real success. Thanks a bunch for the guide!

Seems i did need a teleconverter or a lens with a larger zoom factor... :(

Do you have a telescope?

If you do, you can get a T-Ring for about $10...

It probably wouldn't be cost effective to buy a telescope if you don't already have one... Although you could get a cheap one for a lot less than a lens of the same length. A lot less.

It won't be fast, but it will be long.

EDIT
Actually, it might be a little faster than I thought.
A Mead 400mm (f/5) refractor can be had for $270. 900mm Celestron refractor (f/13 - pretty slow) $140.
There are more...

That hobby can be even more expensive than photography though, so be careful...lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back