What's new

Moon shot suggestions

ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
417
Location
Mexico / Brasil
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, any suggestions on how to improve moon shots, given my equipment (see signature line).


D5200, 220mm, Manual exposure, [SUP]1[/SUP]/200 sec, f/8, ISO 100, Compensation: -4/3, monochrome (Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG HSM lens)
2013-10-13_1655z_b.jpg

13 October 2013 - 19:53:16 (local time in São Paulo, SP - Brazil)


I like the B&W look, using monochrome.

How are you usually shooting your moon shots?

Thanks a lot!
 
I cannot see your photo that is attached. I use about the same settings but use a 70-200mm at 200mm and do not use compensation.
 
Digital photography school has an amazing tutorial on how to shoot moons! I used it to help me get better shots and it was quite informative. I can link you if you want. My settings were pretty similar to yours but without exposure comp. my favorite shot was 1/200 F/10 200mm ISO 200
 
I would turn your EV compensation off, use a tripod and remote shutter release if you're not already doing so. other than the EV, your settings look pretty good, though you'll likely have better end results if you try shooting it in raw format and doing your own post processing on it rather than jpeg monochrome.

edit- your focus doesn't look off or anything, but also worth mentioning is to manual focus using live view zoomed in all the way.
 
Last edited:
Digital photography school has an amazing tutorial on how to shoot moons! I used it to help me get better shots and it was quite informative. I can link you if you want. My settings were pretty similar to yours but without exposure comp. my favorite shot was 1/200 F/10 200mm ISO 200

I'll have to read through that I think, just in case a busload of college kids drives by the house.. lol
 
Thanks.
I will have a look on it
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom