What's new

Moon - That Thing Up There

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,837
Reaction score
405
Location
Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
300mm FD on my Canon 1000D, ISO 200, 1/25th, f/11

8020245267_093e7ccfce_c.jpg
 

Attachments

  • $8020245267_093e7ccfce_c.webp
    $8020245267_093e7ccfce_c.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
nice. i like that it is only partially visible. focus looks great as well.
 
Thank you. It's not the best but its about the best the setup is going to do.
 
I like it :thumbup:, cant wait until i get my hands on a good zoom lens.
 
My 300mm is a Prime lens...less glass to distort the light...what do you have currently?
 
My 300mm is a Prime lens...less glass to distort the light...what do you have currently?

At the moment i only have this one that came with my camera - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II But someday i will get me a good one.
 
I don't have any of what people would call "good" lenses. I shoot exclusively with manual lenses from yesteryear. I cannot afford the new lenses so I buy used and have adapters to fit them on the Canon EF mount. Someday, those "good" lenses will come down in price and then I'll be able to play around with them.
 
This is really excellent; you have proved that it is not always the price of the equipment that matters :thumbsp:
 
Dude, how in the world did you get this shot to be so clear?!?!?!?!?! Every time I aim for the moon, I get a blown out ball of shininess. Even when I use shutter speeds in the 1/50 area, I get crap!
 
I don't have any of what people would call "good" lenses. I shoot exclusively with manual lenses from yesteryear. I cannot afford the new lenses so I buy used and have adapters to fit them on the Canon EF mount. Someday, those "good" lenses will come down in price and then I'll be able to play around with them.

nothing wrong with older lenses. "good" lenses weren't just invented in the last few years.
 
Dude, how in the world did you get this shot to be so clear?!?!?!?!?! Every time I aim for the moon, I get a blown out ball of shininess. Even when I use shutter speeds in the 1/50 area, I get crap!

Expose for the sun. You are essentially taking a phot of the suns light (reflected). Spot meter the moon. Dont rely on "evaluative" metering.
 
I don't have any of what people would call "good" lenses. I shoot exclusively with manual lenses from yesteryear. I cannot afford the new lenses so I buy used and have adapters to fit them on the Canon EF mount. Someday, those "good" lenses will come down in price and then I'll be able to play around with them.

I should edit from good to Zoom sir. someday i want to be able to zoom in at least 300 like you have. I love the moon especially when it's full then i am hairy and causing havoc lol.
What would you think of this one. Would it be good for moon shots ? Just to be clear i have only owned my camera for a week so i am a total beginner. Any advice is great.
 
I should edit from good to Zoom sir. someday i want to be able to zoom in at least 300 like you have. I love the moon especially when it's full then i am hairy and causing havoc lol.
What would you think of this one. Would it be good for moon shots ? Just to be clear i have only owned my camera for a week so i am a total beginner. Any advice is great.


That should be a good one but be warned, you won't get a big shot like the one I posted without cropping it and re-sizing it like I did. I need to get a good telescope...then I could really get in there...
 
Dude, how in the world did you get this shot to be so clear?!?!?!?!?! Every time I aim for the moon, I get a blown out ball of shininess. Even when I use shutter speeds in the 1/50 area, I get crap!


Its as clear as this lens will get with the help of a little high-pass sharpening technique in post-process as assistance...and lots and lots of practice trust me...plus the fact its a prime lens means light has less chances of becoming distorted due to too many glass elements inside as with a zoom lens...

By practice, I mean in total. Camera was bought brand-new in August 2010 and to date I have 56,000+ shutter actuations...about an average of 78 photos per day everyday for two years...some days more some days less but I digress...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom