Moon

I do! I'm just an astronomy freak is all.

People talking about noise in the processed one: Almost none of that is noise even though it looks a bit the same. Get a 1000mm telescope with a 5x to 9x eyepiece and look at the moon and you'll see what I mean. There just aren't enough pixels in the image to resolve the actual features and thus it looks like noise. ;) Remember, she shot it at 400 with an XTi so what VERY little noise was present from the original (and there was almost none) was removed in the 1st pass. The moon is far to bright for the human eye to resolve even the detail displayed here. But not too bright for Toni's camera and lens! :D

maybe i'm messed up but i really enjoy the look of the first one.

Why would that be messed up? Me too yo! :)

I hope no one thinks I was trying to suggest one over the other... as a "correction" or something. It's not. I just wanted to show what unseen aspects are available in a good shot of the moon thru a good lens.

Wow I didn't think I would get people to even leave comments on this post.
I really like what Bifurcator did with my picture.

Bifurcator wags his tail...

Thanks. :coffee:

The moon does not look like that to the eye, and yet your eye can still see details.

I agree that the moon doesn't look like that to the eye and that's why I like Bifurcator's version! Cause the eye cannot see these details. And don't get me wrong Toni, I love your shot but Bif's version is a rare one. :)

/peace y' all

Do ya'll like the original shots that I did.

I do. You said it was 1400x933. Is that post crop, or what the original size was? I would suggest shooting at the maximum size your camera allows and cropping it down later to get the moon as big as possible. But if that is what you already did, never mind.

Good stuff. You can get more detail (like the "after" photo) if you decrease the exposure even more. I know the first time I shot the moon (lol) at 1/250 I thought it was going to be horribly underexposed, but I was wrong. Its worth a couple of shots, if you ever want to go for something different. Another thing is shooting at non full stages. The side lighting of a 3/4 or half moon gives some great definition.

I feel it necessary to tell you my ideas aren't any criticism towards your shots, I just wanted to maybe give you some ideas for any time you're ever bored or whatever. What you have now is really good!

Hey thanks for the great ideas I'll have to try them sometime soon. 1400x933 is the post crop not the original size. We shoot at the maximum size the camera allows although we don't shot in raw.

Good stuff. You can get more detail (like the "after" photo) if you decrease the exposure even more. I know the first time I shot the moon (lol) at 1/250 I thought it was going to be horribly underexposed, but I was wrong. Its worth a couple of shots, if you ever want to go for something different. Another thing is shooting at non full stages. The side lighting of a 3/4 or half moon gives some great definition.
Oh, do please post your moon shot. We all love to see them. You can see my latest moon shot is here. I am curious to see how your 1/250 shot compares to a 300mm at 1/400 and a 510mm at 1/250.

Oh, do please post your moon shot. We all love to see them. You can see my latest moon shot is here. I am curious to see how your 1/250 shot compares to a 300mm at 1/400 and a 510mm at 1/250.

This is actually 1/160. But it is a bit bright for my liking. Nonetheless many of my older pictures are no longer with me, as my hard drive crashed and all I could salvage was what was on my gf's computer.

2596303883_1489067afc_o.jpg

Keep in mind I am not saying my shots are better (as a matter of fact, they're probably not). All I put in my prior post were suggestions and ideas to keep shooting the moon fun.

BTW, I don't know what to do about the red halo, or the, is it aliasing(?), around the moon. Every shot I take of the moon turns out like this.

nice shot and nice processing. my moon shots always come out over exposed but then i haven't shot the moon since i actually took the time to learn how to shoot a little. one day i'll be able to shoot like you all do. :D (when I grow up - been trying to do that for 35 years ... no luck)

I also did take a pic of the moon using my prosumer. It came out cool but then the further I zoom the lower the megapixels tend to degrade. so in the end...pixelated! argh.

Anyways...i love the moon shot you did. plus the rest of you guys too. :)

Most reactions

Back