Moonrise - Full moons are more interestin near the horizon.

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There have been many shots recently of full moons. However, I find these, once the novelty of being able to do it wears off, somewhat boring. So I've been trying to get more interesting shots. This is one I shot on the shores of Lake St-Louis in Montreal.

Moonrise_v2_small_8bit_4343.jpg

I'll post another shortly.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly. Thi is one I shot acouple of years ago. Unfortunately there is motion blur. Have not had another opportunity to try again.
$DSC_0041-1.jpg

As promised, another moonrise. This is from the lookout on Mount Royal in Montreal.

E05_MG_2342_v1.jpg

Nothing to eat up there. We usually find them comfortably ensconed in one of the drinking establishments. ;)

The first one, the moon isn't round. I'm going to assume thats from post processing?

The moon is being distorted by atmospheric refraction. In fact, if you look closely, you'll see that the top of the moon is showing a little "hat" due to the atmosphere being somewhat inhomogeneous. So dakkon76 is perfectly correct.

@paigew: the image is a crop from a 200mm focal length mounted on a 1.6x crop body, giving an equivalent of 320mm in 35mm terms. Besides, this is an illustration of the "Moon illusion" effect, when we see the moon as much bigger when we can compare it to objects that we are familiar with.

@Bossy: no post-processing, other than some curves on the exposure, and some sharpening. It's really impressive when it is just clearing the horizon, and at that time it is also distorted the most by atmospheric refraction.

For all who want to shoot the moon (or the sun) at the horizon, either rising or setting, there is a really neat app here: The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot which allows you to see the time of rise and set, and more importantly, can show you the angles (well, the point on the horizon) where the rising or setting will take place. By moving the little marker icon, you can see where you need to position yourself to get something interesting on the horizon to be near the moon or sun when they rise or set.

Another point to remember, is that if you shoot the moon rising just before or at full moon, the moon luminosity will be not very different from the light on the land, so you will get both with a single exposure. If you shoot the moon rising past full phase, the land will be in darkness, and unless you have something well lit up, the brightness difference between the moon and the foreground will mean that either the moon is overexposed, or the foreground is essentially black. So timing is important to get a good image.

Both images are excellent

I have some doubt: is moon perfectly spherical?
In the city moon image, one part of the moon( that is near to the building) appear to be more flat; is this so?

Regards :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back