More Confused Plants

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was surprised to come across this hosta on my walk to the grocery store yesterday. It's a hosta plantaginea commonly called the August lily as it blooms in late summer (supposed to). What the hell it was 84 F here Wednesday, might as well be late summer.

Joe

hosta_plantaginea.jpg

It's warmer there than in California. lol I like the profile.

Climate change seems to have brought you Mid-Westerners a bounty of blossoms, but here it is much different.

Sadly, there have been stories running in the local paper, that we have lost 102,000,000 trees in the Sierra Nevada due to the five year drought. According to the Forest Service "the scale of die-off in California is unprecedented in our modern history." Forest official are calling the die off an unparalleled ecological disaster.

@Gary A. on the news yesterday over 47,000 acres burned in NC, GA, and TN alone. Because of the drought stress, it's likely a large majority of the trees won't survive.

I'm not trying to be competitive ... but for comparison, according to CalFire, 147,000 acres have been consumed by fire in California this year, last year it was 307,000. Granted, Californa is a large state, but ...

Fire Statistics

Climate change seems to have brought you Mid-Westerners a bounty of blossoms, but here it is much different.

Sadly, there have been stories running in the local paper, that we have lost 102,000,000 trees in the Sierra Nevada due to the five year drought. According to the Forest Service "the scale of die-off in California is unprecedented in our modern history." Forest official are calling the die off an unparalleled ecological disaster.
Disaster? They are on the wrong planet then. This planet has been changing and evolving for millions of years, why would anyone think it was all done?

Yeah, I've been paying attention. This keeps up with another one or two winters free of snow in the Sierras and we'll be talking about resettling climate refugees from LA.

Joe

Hosta la vista, baby.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back