More D5000 Bad news

Bad Andy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, less than 1 week after getting my D5000 back from the recall, I received another recall notice, saying that they have discovered yet another problem. They have sent me yet another box and label to send my camera back to them.

I love my camera, but am beginning to question Nikon. I have always been a Nikon person, and being a DSLR newbie, was quite happy with my purchase. Not that it is a big deal, but this is starting to get frustrating.

If I was in the market again, maybe I would look closer at Canon or maybe the D90 or another Nikon model. Did they rush the D5000 out to market too soon? Maybe they are just being pro-active and ensuring everyone has the best possible product? I'll keep everyone posted.

-Andy

At least they are taking care of the problem, I guess. I can understand your frustration - here's hoping this is just a small bump in your long journey of happy photo taking.

Sure would be nice if Nikon would send a new camera and have you send in yours in exchange instead of having to be without one though - especially for round two.

This is getting to be almost as bad as the 1D MkIII's...

yeah, but at a price point unlike the 1DmkIII. I would have been super pissed off to own one of the first mkIII's.

Almost, LOL.

I helped a friend shoot a pilot for a new reality show, and we used a 5D MK III (I think it was a MK III anyway) for a 4th camera (the other 3 were regular HD Movie cameras). It is a very awesome imaging machine, although out of my price point at this time.

I'm not sending my D5000 back in yet. I haven't had any problems, and have to many fun things coming up. Maybe later this fall I'll send it in. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Andy

With Canon and Nikon releasing new models every other quarter to try and best each other, I fear such issues will become more and more common. I wish these two would slow down, take a breath and only release a new body when they have a perfected system that has several new improvements that make it notably better than the previous release.

It looks like we're going to have to start treating cameras like new cars... never buy a new model during its first year in production. :)

Here's the new service advisory from 2 days ago:

D5000 Service Advisory

Updated: August 12, 2009
Notice to users of the Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.
While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality in its imaging products, it has come to our attention that an electronic component related to power control in some Nikon D5000 digital SLR cameras does not meet factory specifications and may, in certain circumstances, prevent the camera from turning on, thus preventing operation of the camera.
Indications of this issue include:
  1. The camera cannot be operated when the power switch is on, even with a fully-charged battery.
  2. The camera cannot be operated with the EH-5a AC Adapter connected through the EP-5 Power Connector and the power switch on.
The solution:
Nikon has isolated the issues related to this and has effectively resolved them. Preparations have been made at a special Nikon repair facility to streamline the processes associated with the solution. Service related to this issue, including the cost of shipping affected D5000 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, will be free of charge. To further minimize customer inconvenience, Nikon will return serviced cameras to customers promptly, employing (whenever possible) transportation that limits transit time to two days.
Is your D5000 affected by this Service Advisory?
To determine if your D5000 is affected by this Service Advisory, click the Check Serial Number link below and enter your D5000 serial number where indicated. If the serial number verification determines that your camera requires service, additional easy-to-follow instructions will be provided. Otherwise, no further action is necessary.
Important:
As of August 12, 2009 additional product serial numbers have been added to the list of “Affected Product Serial Numbers”. If you have previously checked your camera’s serial number prior to August 12, 2009 we recommend that you try again with the updated list.
Check Serial Number
We apologize for any inconvenience that Nikon customers may experience as a result of this issue.

Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality photographic products and hopes that you will continue to choose Nikon for your imaging needs.

With Canon and Nikon releasing new models every other quarter to try and best each other, I fear such issues will become more and more common. I wish these two would slow down, take a breath and only release a new body when they have a perfected system that has several new improvements that make it notably better than the previous release.

It looks like we're going to have to start treating cameras like new cars... never buy a new model during its first year in production. :)

Not only that but electronics are more fragile so one had to expect more problems than with film bodies. Will we ever see a 50 yo digital body still in use. I seriously doubt it.

And just like cars with computers everywhere, digital cameras are harder to work on yourself. Another way to get more of your money.

they are rushing to put out entry level bodies. so who cares. at the ridiculously low prices these thing hit the market at you should expect some lack of QA. but look how long it took to release the D300s and 5D Mk2, and even the 50D if i'm not mistaken. it seems to me they take great pride in the prosumer and pro bodies/lenses and go through much more rigorous testing/QA. the 1D MkIII being an exception but i highly doubt the issues were due to a lack of care or rush to market.

Not only that but electronics are more fragile so one had to expect more problems than with film bodies. Will we ever see a 50 yo digital body still in use. I seriously doubt it.

And just like cars with computers everywhere, digital cameras are harder to work on yourself. Another way to get more of your money.
Assuming batteries are still available, I would say digital cameras are quite durable. Heck, I see people trading original digital 1D's still and I'm surprised at the prices they still command (and their images are still beautiful). Granted, they're only about 10 years old now, but I suspect many of them will still be shooting in another 10-20 years - assuming you can still get batteries for them. Not many people except collectors still shoot with 50 year old film bodies. The occasional hobbyist or eccentric pro might shoot with an antique for the sake of being unique, but I would guess 99% of the "pros" and serious hobbyists will shoot with something a little more current.

So I don't put much stock into the "it will still be shooting when you're dead" notion. It's really not relevant to me.

Yes, digital bodies are infinitely more complex than mechanical film bodies but I wouldn't say this makes them drastically less durable. I certainly wouldn't want to see a return to film and as time marches on the digital bodies only become more robust and durable. Ironically, the most common failures one sees in the current crop of DSLR's are of the mechanical components (shutters as an example). Solid state electronics are very durable. If it's good when it leaves the factory, barring moisture or other physical damage, they last for quite a long time.

When your camera needs regular service, what does the factory tech usually do? Replace the shutter. :) As for problems in communication between lenses and bodies, even if we were still using film this would be happening today. Lens based AF systems would still be employed and current designs are electronic and not mechanical. Why? Because electronic focusing is faster and more quiet than the older mechanical designs.

And lets not fool ourselves, film bodies required service too.

Wow, I was considering purchasing a D5000, but after all this, I might have to go with the D90. :confused: So confused.......

Wow, I was considering purchasing a D5000, but after all this, I might have to go with the D90. :confused: So confused.......

i own both and i've never had an issue with either.
however, if a D90 is in your budget then why are considering a D5000 in the first place?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back