More Dogs

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple from the other day. Susie (the Schnoodle) got her hair cut and Mom wanted a portrait. While I was set up, I figured I would shoot her big little brother Bocephus as well. Please feel free to pick nits.

ETA on the Berner, my work terminal shows the whites blown, but I don't remember seeing them blown out on my calibrated terminal at home. If someone with a calibrated terminal would like to comment on the whites of the second pic (as to whether or not they are blown) that would be great.

27282758162_8b1873fff8_c.jpg

26774011273_ccfa8b5afc_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple from the other day. Susie (the Schnoodle) got her hair cut and Mom wanted a portrait. While I was set up, I figured I would shoot her big little brother Bocephus as well. Please feel free to pick nits.

ETA on the Berner, my work terminal shows the whites blown, but I don't remember seeing them blown out on my calibrated terminal at home. If someone with a calibrated terminal would like to comment on the whites of the second pic (as to whether or not they are blown) that would be great.

Ok, both fantabulous shots I must say. Love the lighting and the background. I do have two questions though.

Who names a dog after Hank Williams Jr? And what in the sam hill is a schnoodle? It sounds like something a German might eat for dessert.

Looks to me like "Mom" was standing off to your right. I find it helpful to have pet "parents" stand directly behind me and call Fido or Fifi in order to get them looking directly at the camera.

Ok, both fantabulous shots I must say. Love the lighting and the background. I do have two questions though.

Who names a dog after Hank Williams Jr? And what in the sam hill is a schnoodle? It sounds like something a German might eat for dessert.

Thanks, and good questions. A Shcnoodle is a Schnauzer-Poodle mix, and I name a dog after Hank Williams Jr.

My previous dog was named "Hank" after Hank Sr., so it only stands to reason that a big burly dog that takes his place should be named Bocephus. To be fair, I don't much care for Hank Jr's music, and the dog's full registered name is "Bocephus Captain Awesomesauce Cashman".

Looks to me like "Mom" was standing off to your right. I find it helpful to have pet "parents" stand directly behind me and call Fido or Fifi in order to get them looking directly at the camera.

Thanks! I had Mom stand on both sides and behind me for numerous shots. I did have a couple shots with them looking straight at the camera, but in this instance there was a lack of depth in the snout that I found unappealing. Also, with the Schnoodle there is a very unfortunate growth on the left side of her face that we wanted to avoid on the photo, so this was really the most flattering position for her.

I've learned that dogs generally don't take direction will with lots of stimulus. :lol: I'm slowly learning tricks to getting dogs to pose the way I want them to, and it has been a blast learning. Every shoot gets better and better. I did have a lab this weekend that was simply uncooperative, to the point where I had to reschedule, but that is hopefully not going to be a common event. The parent was frustrated with the dog moving around, and I think the dog picked up on it. From then on the shoot was a lost cause. The parent and I had a chat and came up with a game plan for how to conduct the next shoot, and I think it will be successful.

Nice portraits, very nice technically, the whites are not blown out on my monitor. But, (the big but), the pooches look a bit to anxious ... too alert ... like someone has a juicy steak and waving it in front of them and they ain't taking their eyes off that steak. (But that is but a minor minor nit.)

Thanks, and good questions. A Shcnoodle is a Schnauzer-Poodle mix,

Ok, well if had been me I would have gone for Poouzer rather than Schnoodle but my guess is some ninny has already added it to a dictionary somewhere so I guess were stuck with it. That should however be a cautionary tail to anyone attempting to order dessert in Germany.

and I name a dog after Hank Williams Jr.

My previous dog was named "Hank" after Hank Sr., so it only stands to reason that a big burly dog that takes his place should be named Bocephus. To be fair, I don't much care for Hank Jr's music, and the dog's full registered name is "Bocephus Captain Awesomesauce Cashman".

Ok, I would never use the word "sauce" when naming a dog myself. Tempting fate there.. lol

Thanks, and good questions. A Shcnoodle is a Schnauzer-Poodle mix,

Ok, well if had been me I would have gone for Poouzer rather than Schnoodle but my guess is some ninny has already added it to a dictionary somewhere so I guess were stuck with it. That should however be a cautionary tail to anyone attempting to order dessert in Germany.

and I name a dog after Hank Williams Jr.

Ok, I would never use the word "sauce" when naming a dog myself. Tempting fate there.. lol
I some cultures "dog" and "sauce" are interchangeable terms.

The parent and I had a chat and came up with a game plan for how to conduct the next shoot, and I think it will be successful.
Some things to try; or at least to consider trying:

Schedule plenty of time. During the initial "comfort period" have the owner sit in a chair in the studio with the dog lying at the side. This might take up to half an hour. After it looks like the pooch has calmed down, get the pooch on the posing table, all the while the parent is talking softly, and then moving back slowly, giving him the "stay" signal.

Some things to try; or at least to consider trying:

Schedule plenty of time. During the initial "comfort period" have the owner sit in a chair in the studio with the dog lying at the side. This might take up to half an hour. After it looks like the pooch has calmed down, get the pooch on the posing table, all the while the parent is talking softly, and then moving back slowly, giving him the "stay" signal.

Yeah, the more I get into this the more I realize that I will have to train the humans, not the dogs.

You might want to use Hank, Jr. as an instructor. While the dog is relaxing, (see Designer's comment above), go through a photo session with Jr. to show the dog how to act with a big reward at the end. A smart dog will pick up on that. If it's a dumb dog ... well ... there is no cure for dumb.

You might want to use Hank, Jr. as an instructor. While the dog is relaxing, (see Designer's comment above), go through a photo session with Jr. to show the dog how to act with a big reward at the end. A smart dog will pick up on that. If it's a dumb dog ... well ... there is no cure for dumb.

Having Bo out there during a session would be a recipe for disaster. He loves other dogs. LOVES other dogs. There would be a whole lot of butt sniffing and tail wagging going on, and not much else. In addition to that, it's tough to gauge how unfamiliar dogs will react to a young intact male, especially in an unfamiliar setting.

That said, he is still a very young dog. Once he matures a bit, I would think this might be a viable option and I will have to give it serious consideration.

img.JPG

The photos you take of dogs are really great!! :icon_thumright:
Only distracting thing is the strong blue color of your photos. Hope you don't mind my quick edit, for me the colors look more natural this way, but...just my opinion.

Last edited:
I like the photos just the way they came out, but I'm not an expert just my opinion.

Yeah, the more I get into this the more I realize that I will have to train the humans, not the dogs.
Got beer? By the time your customer finishes her beer, the dog will be so darned bored that he will be happy to see his parent pay attention to him for a change.

Most reactions

Back