More flash question

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have 500D and 550EX. Is it possible to burst like 3 flashes in one single shot? I want to try to shoot (for fun) of me dancing/jumping in the dark. So it is almost like merging 3 shots together.

The Nikon SB series of flashes have a setting called Repeating Flash (RPT). I would think the Canon to have something similar. Check your manual.

I don't think it has a specific mode for that.

It does have a mode that pulses the flash, it's called HSS (high speed sync) but it's not meant for what you want. It's meant to allow you to shoot with flash at shutter speeds higher than your camera's max sync speed (1/200).
And it pulses the flash so fast, that I don't think it would really work for what you want anyway.

so i cant do a shot with 1 second shutter speed with 3 flashes every 1/3 of a sec? Bummer.. I thought I could capture some cool images.

No, I don't think you could so that with just your flash.

You could try it with three separate shots. Your camera shoots at about 3 frames per second, I think. The issue would be whether or not the flash can keep up to that rate. It might be possible if you have fresh batteries (or better yet, an external battery pack) and if you use a very low flash power.

If you want to use a low flash power setting (1/64 or 1/128), you will likely need to use a large aperture, a high ISO or both.

If it works, you could them layer the three images together with software (Photoshop etc.)

Schwetty...

Is that Sigma 27-70 2.8 new, or did you just add it to your sig?

Ive had it for a month. Still have a mix feeling about it. The photos are not sharp and I took the picture with a tripod and live view (zoomed in) focus. I feel that the AF is a little off. Not sure if it is because my camera or the lens.

Ive had it for a month. Still have a mix feeling about it. The photos are not sharp and I took the picture with a tripod and live view (zoomed in) focus. I feel that the AF is a little off. Not sure if it is because my camera or the lens.

Hmm...

They should be at least descent sharpness unless there is something wrong with the lens or possibly your 500D. I think that lens is supposed to be fairly sharp.

It may have a back focus issue or something.

This is the right place to straighten the issue out, there are many people here that can help.

I recommend you make a post about it, and include some example pics. Maybe we could help you to determine if the lens has focusing issues or is defective in some way.

Neil

Unless you have a serious monolight that's turned down on power, 3 shots in a second is not very likely.

Have you read page 24 of the manual? It describes the stroboscopic mode of the 580EX, showing that 3 Hz is easily achievable, even at 1/4 power. The manual also gives you guide numbers for the manual settings.

Good luck,
Helen

Oops, misread the model number of your flash. checking the 550...

Yes, page 46 of the 550EX manual.

Cool.. thanks helen.. I will give this a try and do my chicken dance photo.

Most reactions

Back