More flowers

Very nice . I also like #2 the best. #1 would be better without the slightly out of focus vegetation in the background. It is a distraction from the main subject - the flower - maybe a different angle would eliminated the greenery. I would also watch the crop a bit as, for me, it is a little tight in this one. #2, on the other hand - I would have cropped it, or zoomed in a little closer to put a bit more emphasis on the internal parts.

WesternGuy

Very nice . I also like #2 the best. #1 would be better without the slightly out of focus vegetation in the background. It is a distraction from the main subject - the flower - maybe a different angle would eliminated the greenery. I would also watch the crop a bit as, for me, it is a little tight in this one. #2, on the other hand - I would have cropped it, or zoomed in a little closer to put a bit more emphasis on the internal parts.

WesternGuy

Thanks! I did have one with a slightly closer look inside the flower but I wasn't that happy with it.

DSC_0401_9022a by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I like the second version of #2 a lot better, in fact, I might even zoom in a little closer, but this is good. I am just curious what lens you were using for these.

WesternGuy

Really like #2. It does look like a crop to a different aspect ratio, but a nice crop for the subject. The color combination also makes this work for me.

Two side notes; one is that you can tilt your camera off of horizontal and that can often help with flowers, and second is that I see your filename is DSC and I think you can change those three default letters on the D7100 to something more personal (and can be used to differentiate from your other cameras).

I like the second version of #2 a lot better, in fact, I might even zoom in a little closer, but this is good. I am just curious what lens you were using for these.

WesternGuy

I used a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4. I like it for flowers because it can focus without any real distance from the subject. I took a few shots with the petals of the mum practically touching the lens. I have a super extreme close up of the whatever the guts of the lily are called. I'll post it when I get home later today. I was checking out the better cropping options now that I have more MPS to work with. It does make a big difference.

Speaking of cropping and close-up photography...there was a fellow in the early 1990's who used to photograph insects from about three feet away, using slow-speed color slide film (I think Kodachrome 25 and electronic flash), so he could get the entire insect and its wings in good focus. Then, he would photograph the processed color slide using a macro lens, and do very,very high-magnification close-up photos from very small sections of the the trans-illuminated slide on his slide copy setup. He was able to achieve exceptionally high-magnification images of insects, with complete depth of field, back in the era before focus stacking and composited macro images were possible. Something to think about, now that we have these high-density, high-performance sensors like the one in your D7100; cropping in at the computer is now more viable an option that it ever has been.

Most reactions

Back