More pictures of the White Horse Vale

Steph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All these pictures were taken near Uffington, Oxfordshire, UK at various times of the year and day. Let me know what you think.

1 - Sunset

273978484_4ab60d5436.jpg

2 - Sunset

273978482_cc7ca87231.jpg

3 - Sunset

273978478_c9b3de353c.jpg

4 - Sunrise

273978479_f41dd5a026.jpg

5 - Mid-afternoon

273978481_4625084fd1.jpg

6 - Mid-afternoon

273978480_4ae914ed86.jpg

Steph said:
All these pictures were taken near Uffington, Oxfordshire, UK at various times of the year and day. Let me know what you think.
OK, I think they're empty and too saturated.
Sorry.

I don't agree with the 'empty' comment at all (thought the 4th pic seems a bit redundant when compared to the rest). Saturation in some could probably be reduced, but doesn't look all that excessive to me (then again my monitor isn't the same as yours).

Nice work!

they look fine to me.

Number 3 is a winner

i like 'em...

esp. the first 3. :thumbup:

I love these pictures. How do you get that coloring on the photos like that? what i mean is, how is every picture so virbantly dramatic. I've wanted to take photos like that for a while but I don;t see how it is done.

I think that 2, 4 and 5 should be made into a triptychon, then no one would call 4 redundant any more but they would be recognised as what they are: studies of the same place in different light situations. (I am very partial to that kind of studies, mind!)

And all of these make obvious to me once again why, if I had the choice, I would always vote for England as a country to go to for holidays ... or Ireland, but England, too!

I understand these are scanned prints (or scanned negatives)?
What film do you use?

LaFoto said:
I understand these are scanned prints (or scanned negatives)?
What film do you use?

These are prints scanned with a very cheap flatbed scanner. These shots were taken with Fuji Reala print film.

Rapala46 said:
I love these pictures. How do you get that coloring on the photos like that? what i mean is, how is every picture so virbantly dramatic. I've wanted to take photos like that for a while but I don;t see how it is done.

I often (but not always) use 3 types of filters when taking landscape pictures. A mild warm up filter (81B) to enhance the warm colours of sunset and sunrise, a polariser to saturate colours and Neutral Density graduated filters (ND grad) to retain some details in the sky when it is too bright compared to the rest of the scene. If you use a digital camera you can achieve the same effects with Photoshop apart maybe for the polariser. However, I think the most impotant is to wait for the right light...

LaFoto said:
And all of these make obvious to me once again why, if I had the choice, I would always vote for England as a country to go to for holidays ... or Ireland, but England, too!

You should also consider going to Scotland. I have been to both Ireland and Scotland and there are great photo opportunities (when th weather is not too ba!!). I will post some pictures from Ireland and Scotland in the future.

Foreword. My deepest apologies to Steph, because I'm about to hijack this thread a little. I hope you'll pardon me.

W.Smith said:
OK, I think they're empty and too saturated.
Sorry.
I've got some criticism for your criticism. It sucks.

But, unlike your criticism, I will attempt some sort of reasoning and make some suggestions.

I read through every post you've made on this forum, and you obviously have a wealth of technical and artistic knowledge. But, I had to read through every post you ever made to realize that. Until I did, I just thought you were a spiteful troll.

And I did have to read through all of it to realize those good qualities. Otherwise, your criticism is harsh, asinine in context, and useless to the photographer you give it to. Not because it isn't valid, but because it's left completely unfounded and has no alternate suggestions or reasoning. Your method of critique might as well be just flipping a coin to decide whether to debase someone or compliment them. Because to new photographers, that's about the same level of assistance. Fat lot of good that knowledge does you, eh?

Details allow the person taking the photos to improve in technical skill, and mabye, someday, make photos you feel that don't entirely suck ass. It also allows them to blow you off when you're criticizing aspects of their photography that they intentionally incorperate. I get flak very often for my framing. But that's because I like bizzare and cropped framing, and don't care in the least what anyone else thinks about it. I also like weird lighting, and I don't light the things people want me to light. Again, I don't care. But the critcism can still be valid. And because a detailed criticism has been given, that information and perspective can be incorporated next time a person peers down the viewfinder.

toastydeath said:
Foreword. My deepest apologies to Steph, because I'm about to hijack this thread a little. I hope you'll pardon me.

No worries toastydeath. I have to admit I was a bit surprised by W.Smith's reply to my second post. I decided to put some of my pictures on this forum to get constructive feedback from other people, whether they like my pictures or not. In this respect, W.Smith's comment does not help much.

beautiful landscapes! they make me feel very very calm and unstressed... they let me unwind...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back