More Practice Shooting a Model

Deltarat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonpryorphotgraphy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've got another model photo shoot under my belt. I'm learning more with each one. One of my personal trainer's best friends has a little modeling experience and was looking to get some photos for her portfolio. So, I did them for her. One thing to remember about these photos. Just as Alayne, the model, pulled up to the location, I got a text message that a friend of mine had died. So, I had to quickly put on a smile and bring the energy to the shoot that I needed to bring. I kept telling myself, "You want to be a professional, so be a professional." Looking back at some of the shots, I see some mistakes and things I could do better. I like to think that I would have had my mind been 100% on the shoot and not with the family of my friend that passed.

Other than that, I'd appreciate any thoughts on what you guys see.

1 $960_Alayne Davis_03.JPG 2$960_Alayne Davis_05.JPG 3$960_Alayne Davis_14.JPG 4$960_Alayne Davis_17.JPG 5$960_Alayne Davis_19.JPG 6$960_Alayne Davis_22.JPG 7$960_Alayne Davis_32.JPG 8$960_Alayne Davis_44.JPG

I like the series, one point to be noted. The white balance is not the same in every photo.. Since you are working in a professional manner you have to take care of the WB in the series as a whole..

I guess I wasn't really looking at it as a series of images. I was actually changing the WB on purpose. I didn't want every shot to have the same look. Some, I wanted to be more vivid in color. Since she was wearing western style clothes, I wanted some to look a little more rustic. Since she wanted some shots for her portfolio, I wanted to give her a variety or looks to pick from. I have other shots from the shoot that I haven't posted here that are much cooler in color and tone. Also, it was raining on and off that day, so I used fill flash in some shots, and no flash in others. I've never viewed WB as something that was right or wrong. I've always seen it as a creative tool. Obviously, if whites need to be white and if you're shooting images that need to look the same, you have to make sure the WB is the same. I agree with that. But, in this case, I was using WB to give me different looks. Some didn't work at all. But, I like the results I got with other shots.

The poses were nice, the composition was pretty good, the depth of field was well managed... BUT...

The model appears to be out of focus in every single shot. Am I the only one who sees it?

No. I see it. That was one of the things I know I could've done better. I was very frustrated when I got home and saw that a lot of the shots weren't focused like I wanted them to be. It was raining and there wasn't a lot of natural light. Plus, I was hand holding everything. If my mind wasn't on other things, I probably would have used a higher ISO, but like I said. I was distracted. The model loved the shots, and she couldn't really complain since I did the shoot for free. I just gave her a disk of images. It served it's purpose for me, which was to get more experience and learn from mistakes. Now I know on rainy days, ISO 100 probably isn't enough. Lesson learned.

Pretty nice set, but the first thing i see in picture #5 is her nose, and it's not very flattering.

Critiques I saw were already mentioned. Pretty good photo's; and yes sidebarring a little bit I'll agree with Simion, that beak is doing no justice, not your fault nor hers really but it's there never the less.

Most reactions

Back