More zoom

Some are good, some are bad. None will take the place of an actual lens of the proper focal length. They are adding additional optical elements which usually degrades the image slightly. They cost 1 to 2 stops depending on the focal length multiplier.

I have two, one is a 2x and the other is 1.4x. The 2x is not worth having, the 1.4 comes in handy occasionally.

Some are good, some are bad. None will take the place of an actual lens of the proper focal length. They are adding additional optical elements which usually degrades the image slightly. They cost 1 to 2 stops depending on the focal length multiplier.

I have two, one is a 2x and the other is 1.4x. The 2x is not worth having, the 1.4 comes in handy occasionally.

They degrade image quality more than slightly.

TC-20e? Or aftermarket?

TC-20e? Or aftermarket?
Aftermarket. Kenko M7 2x. The Kenko Teleplus Pro versions are much, much better.

Just wondered! My TC-20e has some issues... but in general, it really works well. I can get some CA (purple fringing) in some circumstances, but in the right conditions... IQ is really pretty darn good! (of course, that is being used on the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII, which has phenomenal IQ to start with!)

I have heard good things about the Kenko PRO series!

Just wondered! My TC-20e has some issues... but in general, it really works well. I can get some CA (purple fringing) in some circumstances, but in the right conditions... IQ is really pretty darn good! (of course, that is being used on the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII, which has phenomenal IQ to start with!)

I have heard good things about the Kenko PRO series!
The Kenko Pro series cannot be compared to the Kenko M7 series. They might as well be completely different devices. My M7 2x can NOT take a decent shot. I've tried it in good light with decent lenses and the results are horrible. The loss of sharpness just makes the photos completely useless. I can get better sharpness by cropping the images than I can by using that TC.

The 1.4 Pro converter is the exact opposite. Right after I got it I took some shots of something at the Nashville Zoo (can't remember what now) and the difference in sharpness between using my 70-300 with the TC and without it is neglibable. In good light when I don't have to worry about noise problems due to the loss of light it works like a charm.

The Nikon teleconverters don't work with normal and wide-angle lenses. The rear element of the lens comes in contact with the device. The kenko is built differently and can be used with practically any lens you care to mount.

Some teleconverters are simple mechanical/optical devices with no electrical contacts of any kind, while otters maintain the data connection between lens and camera so that AFS G lenses maintain their functionality.

Oh! By the way SA. My my lens is elongated. So I guess a round tele- converter won't work. 

Most reactions

New Topics

Back