morning setting on D90

vinumv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All Photography Gurus,

I own a Nikon D90. I would like to know the best Manual setting for a morning around 7am (bit sunny in UAE) in D90. What shutter speed I have to use, what about ISO, what is the f/stop?

I am planning to take some out door shots of corniche area in UAE. Can you please throw light on my query.

Have a great time.

Vinz

Depending on the light and your F/stop capabilities. I would try a 100 or 200 ISO, just to capture light, F/3 - F/5.6? not too sure it all really depends on what you want out of the picture and how you want it to look. It's up to you, fool around with your settings, use a tripod either way.

Hope this helps.

use your meter dude.

that'll tell you what shutter speed is properly exposing your scene.

f/8? idk. put it on aperature priority and play?

what kind of depth of field are you looking for?

There is no real specific setting to use, just what works for the given light and your desired results/effects.

I own a Nikon D90. I would like to know the best Manual setting for a morning around 7am (bit sunny in UAE) in D90. What shutter speed I have to use, what about ISO, what is the f/stop?

I am planning to take some out door shots of corniche area in UAE. Can you please throw light on my query.

Have a great time.

Vinz
No one can tell you exactly what settings to use, except the ISO.

Use the D90's lowest ISO 200.

Use an aperture that gives the depth-of-field you desire for the shot. Then decide which of the 3 metering modes you need to use for the light in your scene. Next select the auto focus mode and focus area mode needed for the subject matter you are wanting to shoot. Next decide if you need any exposure compenstation, + or -, for the scene you are shooting. Then you need to decide if you will need any fill light or not.

Stage 1 ) Read your camera manual

Stage 2) Read the manual again whilst playing with the camera at the same time.

Stage 3) Purchase and read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - considering your newess to this you might also find "The Digital Photography Book" by Scot Kelby a slightly lighter and easier starting point before moving onto Understanding Exposure.

That is the rough path that I took to learning photographic settings and how to and when to use what settings in what conditions. There is an element of theory and also an element of experience in understanding what and when to use what settings. The books I outline will go into the basic and intermediate theories for overall settings and experience as well as reading around and specific situations will help to teach you more advanced settings control for specific environments you shoot in.

thats about like asking the question"which color should i paint my house". While it's a valid question, its subject to a number of factors. In your case, it's subject to your lighting, your subject, and the model of camera you are using. And of course what you are trying to achieve with your image.

my d90 likes eggs and bacon for breakfast.

f/8 @ 1/125 @ iso 200.

Obviously.

I'm half the world away and I know this. Get with the program guys.

In the old days, before all these high tech digital cameras, photographers memorized some guidelines.........

One is the 'Sunny 16 rule".. It's a basic starting point..

It says that on a sunny day, with an ISO of 100 and a basic shutter of 1/125, then the f-stop would be f-16

You move around from there... For example, if you want to shoot on the snow or beach, you close down a stop (or increase shutter) . If it's cloudy, you open up a stop (or decrease shutter) etc... If the shot is important, then you bracket on each side.

Personally though, your camera has a meter in it.................... there is simply no reason at all to guess at it........:D

Have a great time.

Vinz

Set it on 2.

p!nK

Wrap your camera up nicely and put it in a box and mail it to me, and I will be happy to set it up for you...

:D

Guys could we perhaps keep a slightly more mature level of behaviour? A few jokes there and there are ok when its within friends, but it becomes rude and uninviting when its targeted toward new members. Especially when such jokes are at their expense.

I think this must be the correct setting. That is f/8 to f/11 wthd ISO 200 nd shutter speed of 125.Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I fear that f3-f5.6 with ISO 200 may produce an over exposed image. However, thanks a lot for guiding me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back