Mossscapes! C&C

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I've been MIA for quite a while now, but I'm back with a few threads worth of photos. The rest of the series can be found here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...long-day-out-macro-lens-emergence-spring.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...16-part-2-long-day-out-macro-lens-blooms.html

These were some of my favorite shots from the day out. Taken in natural light, no backgrounds or flashes used.

Nikon D300s
Sigma 180mm F/3.5 EX DG HSM IF APO Macro

DSC_7024.jpg

DSC_7029.jpg

DSC_7033.jpg

DSC_7034.jpg

DSC_7042.jpg

These are just for fun..no need to comment on these unless you absolutely must :mrgreen::
DSC_7002.jpg

DSC_7004.jpg

DSC_7000.jpg

DSC_6999.jpg

C&C Welcome and appreciated as always!
Mark

Last edited:
Hi.

I think 1 & 2 work well. (Weird how you got a black background without a flash) They're nicely composed with interesting DOF.

3 & 4, for me just don't work due to large oof foreground on LHS.

5 is ok, but would benefit from the top of the moss stalks being in focus.

Kind of like the B&W's

Thanks.

The black background came from the moss being in broad daylight, and the background was a shadowed home. The vast difference in exposure is what accounts for the black background.

As for the OOF parts in 3&4, and 5, the Aperture was F/13, 13, and 11 respectively. Having everything in focus would have needed an F/22 or similar. There would be too much loss from diffraction as well as it becoming impossible to hold the lens (180mm at approx. 13"). In macro, it is very seldom that you will find a 1:1 photo having everything in focus.

Thank you for your comments.
Mark

These are excellent macro shots. You did choose your subjects really well. I really like the second image; it's minimalist and subject-oriented.

Most reactions

Back