Most handsome picture?

Phot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what the best face to make in order to produce my most handsome picture. Not terribly certain this is the right forum, but I have always gotten good responses and feeback is always needed.

There are about 5 aspects of this photo which I am actively doing:
1. I am bringing my chin out to define my jaw
2. I am using a slight squint
3. Forward shoulder down
4. Lowest setting flash so I can get a reflection off my eyes
5. Background and clothes chosen to be opposite but aesthetic.

Any edits you think I should make, different background, clothes, look,etc....... All comments welcome.

Hmmm ... If you're serious, I would get an idea of what you mean by handsome, and what you want the picture for. There's handsome businesslike and handsome sexy. There's shots for a professional resume and shots for a dating website and shots for a dramatic actor or artist.

I'm a newbie myself so take what I'm saying for what it's worth, which is nothing :)

Here's what I see and I'll respect you by just dealing directly, with no intention to offend. You've got a receding hairline and a complexion with spots and imperfections ... You're not a pretty-boy. My instinct is to cast you as a tough guy, a worker with a sweaty job, lots of exertion.

Try a black stocking watch cap with a grimy hoodie and rubber apron. Or a sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off, go mow the yard or work out and get all scroungy ... Then use either a plain background or a busy machine shop type background. Get the background just out of focus enough to know what it is but not be distracting. Make sure you use enough light to pop you out of the background. The viewers eye is typically drawn to the point of highest contrast and you want that to be your face. Even more so, your eyes. My guess is that you'd be good in black in white but I'm a black and white fan.

Or ... Maybe a cross process effect, to give you a greenish fluorescent light fight club kind of look.

Keep trying and experimenting.

Just my $.02

P.s. Watch out for things poking out of you like those wood pieces in this image

P.s. Watch out for things poking out of you like those wood pieces in this image

What do you mean? The chair?

It's for a dating website. I'm not looking for corny goofy sexy, I'm looking for actual sex appeal. Some of the things to keep in mind, there is now an online dating culture(the media makes fun of certain male pics so women feel shame about responding to certain themed pics) and anything shirtless, with vehicles, sunglasses, anything covering the face, these kinds of things get aggressively avoided.

You nailed about 3 things that are always on my mind when I shoot myself. I always looking angry or labored in my photos unless I smile, it's a natural face for me like RBF, lol. I am also very aware of my hair line and have no understanding of how to shoot it. And yes, my skin is almost always blotchy.

I'm learning as fast as I can with this stuff.

Edit: Thanks for the feed back, I do appreciate it. Knowing my weaknesses has to happen before I can fix them.

Last edited:
Right, the chair ... And the long line of the fence rail poking thru your head ...

And yes, certainly ... You don't have to be cheesy to be masculine. Do the hard worker thing, but don't make yourself look outlandish.

Do you want to look serious or fun? Do you want to accentuate your intellect, humor, athletic prowess? Who are you? What's your character? All things to think about.

Get a pickup basketball game with some buddies, then try to get a shot at one of those candid moments when everyone is laughing at something stupid.

Next to a campfire at dusk.

Maybe a shot where you're concentrating intensely on something, like a chess game.

And all thus is assuming you're getting into photography in at least semi-serious way. If you just need a shot, maybe you can find a pro where you live

Stand at least 8 feet in front of the background, and use a 135mm or 200mm focal length. This will separate you from the background, giving the photo better "pop". :)

I think there have been some good points made.. I don't think this is a terrible photo by a long shot for online dating, for starters. lol I mean, its of you, no sunglasses or hat that you're hiding behind.. doesn't look like you went over the top to produce it or anything. It passes, IMO.

Personally, as a woman.. lol if I were on a dating website I would probably want to see a variety of photos, and not just one good one and then wonder if this was a fluke great shot. I would also think women want to see that variety of photos being of you doing things you enjoy.. fishing/at the beach/out on top of a mountain you hiked.. I don't know.. but you get the idea there!

The longer focal length and backing away from the wall are both good ideas.. the longer focal length would create more flattering features I'm sure and the distance from your wall will make you pop more as someone mentioned. I agree about the chair and the line through your head on the fencing. That chair doesn't look to belong outdoors so that might be a "he tried hard to take this photo and it took 12 shots to get it" red flag if anyone is being as overly critical as you've asked us to be.. which for the record, is probably highly unlikely.

And as a total side note.. have you ever considered growing your hair out some? Personal preference here of course but I think men look better with a bit of hair on their heads. lol Maybe I am biased here as my husband does but yeah.

I think it's a nice enough picture though you look a bit stern. I think the background is too busy though and you should use a simpler one. If you are concerned about the hair line why not use a cool hat. Maybe a simpler patterned shirt too. Since it's for a dating site you might just have a friend take a bunch of spontaneous shots of you until you get a couple that you like. Any way you don't want to scare the chicas off by looking too stern.

And as a total side note.. have you ever considered growing your hair out some? Personal preference here of course but I think men look better with a bit of hair on their heads. lol Maybe I am biased here as my husband does but yeah.

I am balding, noticeably. And my hair is a natural fro, the stuff just grows straight up like I've been electrocuted. It only ever looked cute when I was a kid.

I would suggest to get a photographer friend and get candid shots, ones that say who you are. You need some bokeh in the back ground. Have them shoot you while your at work (mates like men that are working) or doing something your interested in. An example is a friend of mine did the same thing as you and I snapped some photos (before I had a DSLR) of him at the mission, him playing the bass at church, doing body work on a car while at work and working out. He is not as good looking as you and he met an amazing woman and is very happy. They got married last year and expecting their first child. He is 43 and she is 36. They do all those examples mentioned, together and are a great couple and dear friends.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am balding, noticeably. And my hair is a natural fro, the stuff just grows straight up like I've been electrocuted. It only ever looked cute when I was a kid.

Hair product! lol

Thanks guys(and gals), I have a lot to work with form here.

Most reactions

Back