Motion Excercise

Another TPF member who dabbled in this is Dagwood56. She refers to it as "in-camera motion" or ICM, I believe. ?? She does them with a zoom lens sometimes, too - all interesting effects.

Another TPF member who dabbled in this is Dagwood56. She refers to it as "in-camera motion" or ICM, I believe. ?? She does them with a zoom lens sometimes, too - all interesting effects.
Ahhh, that was the name I was looking for ....ICM

intentional camera movement...
That was a cool link. There was one within that post to a site "build and use slow focal plane shutters". Crap, it's a broken link. Man, you got my mind churning....

Driving down the road at night with my Pentax MV w/50mm focus infinity F11 Fuji 400 print film shutter open for about 2-3 minutes?? I love how the street lights "pulsate" light and leave ribbon.

Driving down the road at night with my Pentax MV w/50mm focus infinity F11 Fuji 400 print film shutter open for about 2-3 minutes?? I love how the street lights "pulsate" light and leave ribbon.

Flipping awesome

Flipping awesome

Thanks!
The trick I have found to this "paint with light" is not to have too little or too much. Or mix a few in PS. I've shot entire rolls of 36 exp just to get one that I like. I'll sometimes use a 28mm as well.

Orientation plays into the look as well. This shot was vertical, to me it looks better as a horizontal. Or does it...???

As shot.

I've dabbled in this technique with flowers. It's fun but frustrating. Difficult to control your results. I like to use a nd and a long shutter speed then start and stop movement. A twist instead of a pan can be interesting as well. Here are a couple of my favorites.

22104350184_1647b08aa6_o.jpg
22104350104_24f13ab977_o.jpg

Yes, PixelRabbit used to take images when her husband was driving and she was taking photos.

You can do a variety of things. Such as using a longer exposure and rotating, and zooming in/out all at the same time. I did examples of these at a campfire and fireworks for some interesting results. I also did some with flowers and other objects.
20150704_Fireworks-24
CampfireAbstracts-30

I've dabbled in this technique with flowers. It's fun but frustrating. Difficult to control your results. I like to use a nd and a long shutter speed then start and stop movement. A twist instead of a pan can be interesting as well. Here are a couple of my favorites.

View attachment 134985 View attachment 134986
These are very delicate and beautiful.

This looks like something that would either drive you nuts or make your head swell with pride! Thank you JC for originating the post and your input. Thank you to everyone else for your examples and info. Nicely done to all!

This is one I did decades ago when I lived in an apartment on a hill overlooking Santa Monica Blvd in LA.

car_zpsfftpobkl.jpg

Kodachrome, Nikon FM, long Schneider lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back