Mounting for Photo Contest

Civchic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right place...

Wyogirl inspired me to enter a few pictures in the Town Fair. Entry has been submitted! But I need some mounting help.

The rules state that the pictures must be "suitably mounted" on foam core, poster board, bristol board, or construction paper. No frames. The sizes are 8x10 and 4x6. Where do I start? Wet mount? Dry mount? Foam core, I'm assuming, would give the nicest presentation. Do I leave a border? How much of one? All it says is that the mounting board can't be bigger than 16" x 20". I'd like to show them to their best, obviously, without spending a mint.

We're talking prize money in the $5-$20 range here. :)

Brilliant! Would NEVER have thought of that. I probably would have gone and spent a fortune at Michael's or something.

I work in construction. I'm sure a bit of that could be had on site for a smile. :)

I would spend the extra cash for foamcore and use spray adhesive (a very light application) to stick 'em down.

(edit) Be sure to test any such adhesive for bleed-through before mounting a finished print. Or use double-sided tape on bristol board as tirediron suggested. :blushing:

I personally would not leave any border. Trim your foamcore straight, square, and to the proper size after the print is on it. That means you're going to be wasting a little for trimming, but what the heck. It sounds to me as if the committee will be sticking these up with straight pins, hence no frames. Also, unless it is specifically prohibited, I would make little cards on foamcore with the title and your name to position under the print.

Oh, and good luck!

Last edited:
I would spend the extra cash for foamcore and use spray adhesive (a very light application) to stick 'em down. I personally would not leave any border. Trim your foamcore straight, square, and to the proper size after the print is on it. That means you're going to be wasting a little for trimming, but what the heck. It sounds to me as if the committee will be sticking these up with straight pins, hence no frames. Also, unless it is specifically prohibited, I would make little cards on foamcore with the title and your name to position under the print.

If I recall from previous years of browsing, these are hung up with various clips and hangers on grid/mesh divider walls. I may be wrong, though. And we're not allowed to identify ourselves at all on the front of the presentation. From what I hear, it's because there are a couple of known local pros and the "no names" gives the amateurs a worthy shot at fair judgement, since the judges are not all photography experts.

Keep in mind that not only do you want your entry to look good but you want it to stand up to the likely handling it will receive during the judging process. It will most likely be stacked up and the stack shuffled through like a deck of cards by each judge.
The foam board with the picture firmly glued to it with little or no border sounds like it would stand up the best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back