Mounting Prints (For Sale)

wjastrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Gang,

I decided to see what the "world" (a very small corner of it) might think of my images and sent away for a selection of 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 prints and a set of mattes and backing board to present it on.

I should be clear: I plan to present the 5x7 and 8x10's in mattes, the 4x6 just on backing board alone. No frames.

My question is: What do I use to attach the prints to the backing board and mattes? I don't want to damage the print in case someone elects to change its setting.

Any thoughts?

I never heard of it being frowned upon to adhere the mat to the backing. A local frameshop by me, (the owner has a b.a. in photography) always adheres the backing to the matted image with spray adhesive.

i'm fairly certain that my degree will stand up with his. that said, matting is expensive material. adhesive ruins it. if a customer wanted to, at some point, mount it differently, he/she will have one heck of a mess in an attempt to tear apart the backing from the matt, potentially ruining the photo.

then again i don't frame things in quantities that people buy just because they match the furniture.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If I'm putting a print in a frame, I expect it to stay there. If someone want to reuse the matte for another print and it gets ruined, so be it.

Since I only frame, I don't have to worry about attaching the backing to the matte anyway. But I do tape the print to the matte. It makes it a lot easier to be sure the print lines up correctly.

danalec99 said:
Does this adhesive spray fall in to the same category as well?

yes. if you've never used it to get an understanding of it, try it. i have both the 3m and elmer's products here, though i don't use them for framing or anything else that would be near a photograph. the chemicals from the spray will not only eventually eat away your matt board, but will also fade the photograph.

Most reactions

Back