Moved to FX. Need a "budget" low power wide-telephoto lens

pyzik

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last week my 3200 broke (mirror literally just fell out). After much consideration I ordered a 610.

I currently have a 50mm 1.8G which I'll be using until I can replace my DX 18-105.

I'm considering a Tamron 28-70 2.8. Also considering a "vintage" Nikkor 35-70 2.8.
Both can be had for around the same price (both used).

I'm leaning toward the Tamron for it's wider angle. Which would you recommend? Something else?

My main use will be general photography. Kids, family stuff, walking around.
I do some product photography too and do have a couple jobs. The macro in the Tamron may help with that also.

Last edited:
I have a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 that gets the job done, and I had some pretty good success on my D600. They run around $300 or less used.

20160318-DSC_1682 by jwa04, on Flickr

I found it to be a pretty solid imager for the price.

how wide do you need/want to go?
you wont need as wide on fx if you are sticking with what you had on dx.

i had the old non-vc tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and loved it.
for wider shots i had a sigma 17-35 f2.8-4, which was also pretty old, but worked really well.
the older nikon 35-70 f2.8 D can be found pretty cheaply on ebay now, and does as good now as it ever did in its prime.

if your used to 24mm as your "wide end" on a dx camera then 35mm on fx is pretty much the same field of view. not the same focal length mind you,
just the same "field of view"... so either lens will get you where you need to be.

for wider than that, the tokina 16-28 f2.8 atx pro is an FX lens and is on ebay for around $500.

for wider shots i had a sigma 17-35 f2.8-4, which was also pretty old, but worked really well.
the older nikon 35-70 f2.8 D can be found pretty cheaply on ebay now, and does as good now as it ever did in its prime.

if your used to 24mm as your "wide end" on a dx camera then 35mm on fx is pretty much the same field of view. not the same focal length mind you,
just the same "field of view"... so either lens will get you where you need to be.

for wider than that, the tokina 16-28 f2.8 atx pro is an FX lens and is on ebay for around $500.

I forgot that I essentially bought the same set-up you had right after you sold yours, haha.

That 17-35mm has served me pretty well too...you might be able to find both for less than $400 total, honestly...

some wide-angle action...

31676973781_ba5ceefcce_b.jpg

Both of these lenses are more than adequate, especially stopped down a bit and with good ISO on the D600.

This is pretty much what I was thinking, and hoping to hear.

Thanks all.
I'll probably grab the tamron unless a superb deal in the Nikkor drops in my lap.

The kit 24-85 can be had fairly cheap in the used market. Or you can up to the 24-120.

The kit 24-85 can be had fairly cheap in the used market. Or you can up to the 24-120.
I wouldn't suggest that 24-120 f4. I was never happy with it. I think a cpl other regulars here sold it off as well.

I wouldn't suggest that 24-120 f4. I was never happy with it. I think a cpl other regulars here sold it off as well.

Well, we are talking 'budget' here. Not like the 24-70/2.8 is on the table.

Well, we are talking 'budget' here. Not like the 24-70/2.8 is on the table.
I wish it were. Some day perhaps.
I do get a few jobs here and there but they're small.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the 28-85 AF lens (screwdriver AF), a 28-105 would give you more reach.
The Tamron f/2.8 is faster, but shorter compared to the 28-105.

Also f/2.8 lenses are heavy. Will that be a factor to you?
I've come to realize that I need a small/light lens as my "grab lens," when I don't want to haul around a heavy camera. Otherwise I end up grabbing the P&S instead.
Example I have the wide range 18-140 as my primary lens, but the smaller and lighter 17-80 as my "grab lens."

Everything is a tradeoff.

I have the 28-85 AF lens (screwdriver AF), a 28-105 would give you more reach.
The Tamron f/2.8 is faster, but shorter compared to the 28-105.

Also f/2.8 lenses are heavy. Will that be a factor to you?
I've come to realize that I need a small/light lens as my "grab lens," when I don't want to haul around a heavy camera. Otherwise I end up grabbing the P&S instead.
Example I have the wide range 18-140 as my primary lens, but the smaller and lighter 17-80 as my "grab lens."

Everything is a tradeoff.

I think I'd rather get the little bit of bokeh the 2.8 gives and accept the weight.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh, your post implied that you no longer had the use of it. You can use it. Your new camera will know what to do with it.
I didn't think I could use it anymore. I thought you could use FX on DX but not really the other way around.

My wife has a 5600, I was just going to let her have it.

Most reactions

Back