movie/film printing

chrisf24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First let me start by saying I apologize in advance if this has been covered. As you can tell I am new to this forum, but I have done some research. First let me start by saying that I shoot mainly street, and my family. I've been shooting digital for about 3 years now. I currently have a Sony A7r2 w/ a Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8. I will still being using this setup from time to time. BUT! I'm looking to primarily shoot with film. With tax season coming around the corner I plan on purchasing a Leica M6TTL with a 35mm voigtlander. Now, I dont want just shoot regular film, I want to focus on shooting movie film (I love the look). My first question, is there a good website to buy movie film stock (I'd rather buy in bulk and load myself, cinestill film seems expensive in the long run). I see that I can purchase the Kodak vision film without a problem but is there any other film stock that I can try out, even a site selling discontinued film. I will be using a hybrid process and scanning my negatives with my second purchase a Plustek Opticfilm 8200i. My second question is I also plan on printing images out, and was looking at possibly picking up the canon imageprograf pro-1000 and look at making 17 x 22 prints. So I was wondering if by shooting movie film, scanning it, will there be a loss of quality when making a print of that size or even bigger.. at what point does printing become out of the question in terms of quality... I am new to printing so sorry for the noob question.. thank you in advance for helping me out!

BHphoto has a small selection but the 35 mm in bulk seems quite expensive altho the reviews of the tri-x reversal are very positive (no pun intended.)

I had to think a minute and maybe I'm missing something, but you want to shoot movie film in a still camera? but then you mentioned Cinestill, so I take it you want that look, but I don't know enough about movie film to know what might be an option. You could try http://www.filmphotographyproject.com , they sell some interesting oddball films from time to time. Along with B&H you might try Adorama and see what they have.

I have a Canon Pixma so can't print that large but I find that just about anything can scan and be printed with good quality results - if the original is good quality, properly exposed, etc. I think how large you could go depends on the quality too, I've had enlargements made and done darkroom work and any way you go it takes having a good negative, not too dense and definitely not too thin (at least in the darkroom, you just can't get something out of next to nothing exposed on that strip of film).

I have an M3, and a Voigtlander Bessa r3m, and various lenses for those, so what you're considering seems like it should work fine for you. If you haven't already, you might want to check out Cameraquest.

Now, I dont want just shoot regular film, I want to focus on shooting movie film (I love the look).

You love the look of movies shot on film or you love the look of movie film shot in a still camera?

The reason I ask is that movie film shot in a still camera won't necessarily look like it does in a movie. Also, processing movie film must be done by a lab that offers that service and most labs don't.

I shot movie film (Kodak 5247) in still cameras briefly back in the 1980s when it was sort of a fad and the results were pretty terrible. I don't mean to discourage you -- just letting you know before you spend the money that it might not be what you expect.

I would not try to use the movie films, especially if you plan to scan and do post processing in the computer. The look will depend more on how you post process and there are some good ways to add a movie look.
If you do go with the Vision film then Daylight balanced is probably the best as it is probably easier to find an 80A filter for tungsten light for the Leica if you go indoor.

I have not shot any motion picture film other than 8 and super 8, but here is the daylight balanced version of the Vision film:
http://motion.kodak.com/KodakGCG/up.../Camera_Films/5207/Resources/5207_SS_4pgs.pdf
The process is also different from regular Kodacolor film and it might be difficult to have a lab process a cut up reel of motion picture film.

I would just go for a good image with regular color still camera film and then post process for the look you want.

Most reactions

Back