Moving from 80D to 5D IV

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I just bought a new 5D IV, i've been wanting a FF for quite some time now. Having waited the last two years for a Mk 5 release and hearing they won't, i bought the Mk 4. I got it for $1,600 after a trade in of a Tamron 150-600 G2 so I think I did pretty good! I also bough the BG-E20 battery grip, an extra LP-E6N battery, a Lexar 1066x 64GB CF card and a screen protector. Is there anything I should know about the 5D IV before I get out and start shooting? Quirks, settings, other accessories? I've got a 40mm STM, 50mm STM, 100-400 II L and 70-200 2.8 III that i'll also be using with it. I shoot mainly BIF, stills of birds and other wildlife and baseball. I'd say it's probably 50/50 between wildlife and sports. I've always shot crop sensor... Thanks!

It probably won't affect you, but there's a quirk with the live view tracking mode and what overlays you can use. More an issue if you use the in camera level but I thunk turning off the face track sorts it.

It's got a lot of settings, everything tweekable, so I'd suggest going through this as a starting point:

and tweeking from there. I've had several plays with the AF tracking system depending on what I'm shooting

I went from an old Canon Rebel to a 7d mk ii and then to the 5d mk iv. I mainly shoot in shutter priority mode and manual mode. I never use the live view screen. The 5d does everything I need in a camera. I've been looking at the new 1d, but I just don't feel like it would be a good fit for me. I actually like shooting with the 7d better than the 5d.

How are you finding the new camera mate?
Waiting on a screen protector and cf card. Hoping for tomorrow!

Fingers crossed for you it comes soon! I'd be really interesed to hear your thoughts with it and the 100-400 L. I got a 16-35mm F4 L with mine and still blown away by the sharpness and resolution. Colour redition is also fantastic.

Interestingly I noticed that some recent shots I took appear to have a different colour temp despite me setting it manually to 5600K. Dunno if that"s a quirk or my settings somewhere. It'll take a while to get used to.

I've only ever shot crop so it's going to be some time before I get good at guessing which lenses I'll need for a particular shot. I'm used to shooting "29mm" indoors with plenty of flash and "960mm" for BIF

The camera is AWESOME. Still finding my way around the settings and trying to make it as close button wise to my 80D. Here's some images I got yesterday. View attachment 195393
IMG_0169Edit11.jpg
View attachment 195394View attachment 195396View attachment 195397
IMG_0010Edit.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back