Moving Parts in low light

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by tim891, Jan 11, 2018.

1. tim891

tim891 TPF Noob!

Jan 11, 2018
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello, I am very much an amateur with this type of stuff. I work at a manufacturing warehouse and we are trying to get some good shots of a cavity within a mold when the two parts of the mold separate and eject the part being produced.

Using an Exilim EX-F1 I am running into issues with lighting and zoom. The cavities are relatively small and the shot is only useful if taken while the machine is running (so it must be taken from an angle). This results in difficulty getting a good amount of light to actually go into the cavity, exasperated by the already relatively dim conditions of the factory itself. Furthermore adjusting the zoom seems to drastically throw off the focus to the point where an in-focus shot is not zoomed in enough to see anything worthwhile.

If there are any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate them, and if this is the wrong place to ask something like this then my apologies.

2. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I never knew Casio made a camera ?

Anyways, Light is your problem as you have stated. Have you tried methods of adding light to the subject? flood light? flashlight? portable work light ? or even use the popup flash ?

That will give you enough light and help focusing. FYI I think adding light is better in this scenario than the flash as the camera will have the added light to help focusing. Rather than going through the AF/Flash setting stages which will delay the shot during the mechanical movement.

Do you have a few examples to post with EXIF (the shutter, aperture and ISO) settings ?

NOTE: adding various types of lights that may have different "colors" to them could throw off white balance - making anything white looks odd.
  3. Andonso

Andonso TPF Noob!

Jan 10, 2018
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Here's a video using a Exilim EX-F1 camera with a Raynox macro lens

I think what you need is a different lens. Perhaps while using a tri-pod if camera shake becomes a problem.

According to this link Casio Pro EX-F1 Lenses

"Casio Pro EX-F1 has a lens mount and currently there are 0 native lenses available for this mount."

If your camera has a stationary lens with no lens mount then you will be limited to a lens adapter or or lens that can be adapted to the Exilim EX-F1 such as the

Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens for Casio Exilim EX-F1

One problem with some macro lenses are some macro lenses require being close enough to the subject to take a closeup photo. If there's obstructions in the way, to take macro closeups people often use a macro zoom lens which allows one to get a closer shot without needing to be physically close.

The Exilim EX-F1 uses 62mm filters. So it's possible you could use a 62mm macro closeup filter such as a +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set.

Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (62mm) 21331703224 | eBay

There are filter sets with e.g. three filters such as +1, +2 and +4, etc. however I would find one with at leas 4 closeup filters that include +10.

You would need to experiment using the macro lens adapter and/or macro lens filters, adjusting various camera functions (auto and manual) such as zoom, focus, shutter speed, f-stop, etc. If the macro lens works a couple of feet away, that would be great.

However if there is space constraint, unable to get the camera up close, you would need to be able to macro zoom, i.e. zoom in and achieve a closeup at the same time.

I would first try a macro closeup filter such as a +10 or other as an entire set can be found for around ~$11.00 from eBay.

I've had luck with macro closeup filters in the past, used with different lenses, however you may need to get the camera and lens fairly close to the mold of what your trying to capture.

If unable to find the correct lens you may be better off trying another camera, such as a DSLR that uses standard SLR / DSLR removable lenses

A tri-pod also can come in handy if camera shake becomes an issue.

I have a Nikon D80, older but wonderful camera that has a selection of hundreds of f-mount lenses, older SLR's and DSLR lenes (some with VR that helps to control vibration)

For $65.00 I purchased a Sigma 200-300mm macro zoom lens that allows me to achieve macros shot from approx. ~2+ feet away. It's 1:2 macro but with +10 closeup filter it becomes 1:1 macro. Some lenses I'm able to get macro closeups using only a +10 closeup filter, which also may be an option if the Exilim EX-F1 is able to accept macro closeup filters. Filters normally fit onto the outer threads of the camera's lens, so If your Exilim EX-F1 primary lens has filter thread you may be able to fit a closeup filter such as a +10 with the same thread size to the Exilim EX-F1 lens and then zoom in. No guarantee it will work as much of photography involves experimentation.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018