Mt Rainier pre-sunrise light

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate getting up early in the morning, so it took me getting a 24hr overtime shift to get me out before sunrise. It was well worth the effort as I left early enough to stop and get some pictures of the pre-sunrise light that lit up the sky around Mt Rainier and Clear Lake. After I had taken a few pictures then the wolves over at Northwest Trek started up a howl fest, between the light and the howls echoing around the lake it was just awesome. Sure glad the time change was Saturday night, not Friday.

attachment.php

It looks peaceful. I like the feel of this. Colors are wonderful.

Very nice, although I will admit that when I first looked at it, I felt the colours were a little oversaturated.

WesternGuy

Thanks guys. The colors are pretty much what was there, it was that dramatic. One of those times where you sit and watch the light and suddenly it just pops for only a moment and you hope like crazy you caught it.

Thanks guys. The colors are pretty much what was there, it was that dramatic. One of those times where you sit and watch the light and suddenly it just pops for only a moment and you hope like crazy you caught it.

I hope that I didn't imply that those colours weren't real - it is just that they were so saturated. I can relate to the fact that you can get colours like this, only for a minute or a few seconds and you go for it and hope you caught it - great catch! :thumbup:

WesternGuy

lol... no problems, sometimes people get a little crazy with saturating colors but not this time. When I showed this to some people at work who also drove in that morning they were like "I saw that and had to stop to look at the sky too".

The wolves would have had me running for the car. Great capture.

Last time I saw that peak, it still had a top. Yours is a once in a lifetime view. Thanks for the memory.

profound thinking about stuff

Last time I saw that peak, it still had a top. Yours is a once in a lifetime view. Thanks for the memory.

profound thinking about stuff

I think you must be thinking of St Helens. The last time Rainier errupted was in the 1820's-ish. That would make you the most technologiclly savvy 190+ year-old around.

Speaking of Mt. St. Helens...Tony S, have you ever taken the time to visit? It's difficult to get to from Yakima and I haven't really seen anything online that makes me think it's worth visiting aside from the historical aspect of it. I would love to add it to my collection of lake/mountain/stars shots, but I haven't found a lake around St. Helens that seems worthy...

Maybe shoot some in the Ape Caves down on the base of St Helens? Maybe also some nice vantage points off the lookout?

That's just crisp!

The color and the shot itself is all beautiful.

From Yakima it's about three hours to make the trip over White Pass and hang a left in Randle at the store. This will take you up to Windy Ridge with a view looking down onto the old Spirit Lake and into the mountain, but it's a trip that you need to wait to do until the snow thaws unless you have a snowmobile to ride up there. Most of the images I've got buried in my files somewhere of St Helens are from the north side of the Monument area where I hunt elk looking right into the crater 10 miles away. Even got up there once for a series of surprise steam plumes shooting up. I have not hiked into the monument area to see if you can get a reflections off any of the lakes and ponds. Most all of the other pictures I've seen from the west side at or near the Johnston Observatory all show the mountain over large mud and sand flats, so again no pristine lakes to get reflections in. I miss the old Spirit Lake where G'pa would take us fishing and you could see the mountain while out on the lake.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back