mulitple cams remotely triggered / wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the original question...

It's a simple enough question and the answer seems to be that it is doable but probably isn't the best idea, especially if it's untested.

The other issue stems from this statement...

I believe this is a separate issue and should be discussed in another thread. And please keep the tone civil...there is nothing wrong with a heated discussion but we will shut down any threads that get out of hand.

I'm sorry Mike. You know my true heart in this. I'm not here to put others down. I'm here to help. I hope everyone understands that, even if I can be rough at times. Most times I'm the Paula Abdual of the bunch. But sometimes, I feel like I can't get my point through unless I'm Simon.
:)

I understand where you are coming from and as always, you have valuable input. I think your tone is coming off a little more 'Simon' that you mean it to be. I'm sure if we were all face to face, everything would be clear and fun.

My take on the remote is that it could work. After all, even though it's a remote, it's still a human pushing the button. Just think of it as though you are pressing the shutter button on your hand held camera...only the camera is not hand held. The sacrifice is that your focus and point of view are preset...but you still pick the moments to fire the camera. As long as the rest of the job is being well taken care of...what is to loose?

Also, it should be clear to everyone that each church (or where ever) is different...and each officiant is different. We have to adapt to every situation and do what we can. Some won't let you use flash and some won't even let you move around during the ceremony. Others are more understanding and tolerant. We can't reasonably argue about this...every situation is different.

Ok, thank you. Let me first say that I'm not a wedding shooter. Yes, I would like to try it and No, I'm not going to Just jump in. In doing my 'Due Diligence' it seems that a Wedding Album will save most marriages about twice from the bride/wife going back and remembering just why she married the 'bum' in the first place. [If you don't believe me, throw out this factoid and every woman who has been married over 5 years will nod her head in agreement (and very few will admit to it but all of her friends are that way ;) )] And for this reason alone I am not going to take a chance on messing this up. The reason I feel that there should be no one behind the minister is that the Three of them should be the Entire focus of attention. A marriage is the creation of a whole new person out of two people bound by God and to draw attention away from that is something else I don't want to do. I understand that if there is a place to hide it would be different but there are not that many churches that are that big (around here anyway) and unless you are in the high end of the business one is unlikely to see such a place often. So, with stated reasons for not being behind the Minister and knowing first hand about the emotions playing across the faces of the B/G, should I ever get to do a wedding in a church ( I have done a couple in houses and out doors as a favor) I would like to capture as much of the emotion and joy as is humanly possible. Thanks again for inviting me back, mike

I understand where you are coming from and as always, you have valuable input. I think your tone is coming off a little more 'Simon' that you mean it to be. I'm sure if we were all face to face, everything would be clear and fun.

My take on the remote is that it could work. After all, even though it's a remote, it's still a human pushing the button. Just think of it as though you are pressing the shutter button on your hand held camera...only the camera is not hand held. The sacrifice is that your focus and point of view are preset...but you still pick the moments to fire the camera. As long as the rest of the job is being well taken care of...what is to loose?

Also, it should be clear to everyone that each church (or where ever) is different...and each officiant is different. We have to adapt to every situation and do what we can. Some won't let you use flash and some won't even let you move around during the ceremony. Others are more understanding and tolerant. We can't reasonably argue about this...every situation is different.

Sorry Mike, I really don't intend to come off that way.
I guess if I had NO OTHER CHOICE I might try what is proposed, but man, you could hire apprentices all day long for free or for a decent fee (what I do) and get the job done right.
I mean, why in the world would you spend all that money on a remotely run camera when you can have a real live human back there for little or no money. I hate remotes. Hatehatehate.
Because it is exactly that. Remote. Non Feeling.
In MO, worthless.
But put a human back there............priceless.

I would also suggest that if you already have the pocket wizards, they would be better used for remote flashes anyway. There is a guy in my general area who almost exclusively uses his flash off camera with PWs. His web site here

Ok, thank you. Let me first say that I'm not a wedding shooter. Yes, I would like to try it and No, I'm not going to Just jump in. In doing my 'Due Diligence' it seems that a Wedding Album will save most marriages about twice from the bride/wife going back and remembering just why she married the 'bum' in the first place. [If you don't believe me, throw out this factoid and every woman who has been married over 5 years will nod her head in agreement (and very few will admit to it but all of her friends are that way ;) )] And for this reason alone I am not going to take a chance on messing this up. The reason I feel that there should be no one behind the minister is that the Three of them should be the Entire focus of attention. A marriage is the creation of a whole new person out of two people bound by God and to draw attention away from that is something else I don't want to do. I understand that if there is a place to hide it would be different but there are not that many churches that are that big (around here anyway) and unless you are in the high end of the business one is unlikely to see such a place often. So, with stated reasons for not being behind the Minister and knowing first hand about the emotions playing across the faces of the B/G, should I ever get to do a wedding in a church ( I have done a couple in houses and out doors as a favor) I would like to capture as much of the emotion and joy as is humanly possible. Thanks again for inviting me back, mike

I hope you can forgive me Mike. You don't have to be a wedding shooter to know what you would want after spending many thousands of dollars.
I'm a Christian, as is my husband. We totally understand how important this ceremony is. We don't run around the stage shooting over the priest's shoulder. We sit WAY back in the front chior, and shoot. Normally it's me, and I duck way down, dressed all in black, and balance my camera over the rails. No one notices me at all.

I've very happily married, so I get it. If I miss something crucial, I know I can re create it later, but there is nothing more precious than that first look at the groom when her father delivers her to the alter.

I can't apologize for this. It's what I'm payed to do. I'm payed to show the priest he can trust me, and I'm paid to get the shot, without a remote.

Pretty much all of what I was/going to say has been covered but here are my thoughts on a few . . .

First off I agree with a couple of the people who have mentioned here that you DO NOT want to try this on your first time out (and possibly not ever) but even more importantly why would you want to tie down your ONLY second camera in one position for the whole time? That second body should getting put to good use capturing multiple other angles or speeding up your flow by not having to change lenses all the time. A wide angle on a tripod MAY yeild one shot or one small sequence, but that is it. It sits there the rest of the time collecting dust and racking up actuations on your shutter. Get a good fast lens (like before mentioned 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L and shoot from the side. I have been in many churches where with a good zoom you can actually get "in front" of them being off to the side (does that make sense?) Also many churhes have the stairs to the balcony hidden away (well except for my last one where they came 3 feet from the alter) so an assitant or yourself could get up there discreetly once or twice to get one or two shots but then return for tight shots on the floor where the action is. That being said it is still of utmost importance that you speak to the officiant and make them aware of your intentions before hand whatever they may be. You do not want to get thrown out in the middle of the service!

As far as the experience thing goes I do agree with many of the others here. You do need to start somewhere, true. You don't have to assist or study under a pro, but it would be a much faster track. I personally held myself back from taking ANY job as a primary shooter for three years before I would even accept a donation. Even then I made very sure to talk to the "pro photographer" to ensure them that I would not be taking photos (read- stealing the money shots) they posed (very big sales in this area) or set up, I would only watch. Also that I would be mindful of where they were at all times to not interfere with thier shots. They are working, you are learning. And even after those three years I started out slow with friends and family events only for my first "paid" contracts. Even now that I am finally comfortable shooting on my own I still second shoot for others I believe I can learn from. Wish I had done it that way from the start :er:

PWs only work within a very small area. I've had much more success with slave/masters.
Just my experience with the two.
However I do use PWs on my booms.

Either I type REALLY slow or you guys are really on the ball in this post today:stun: After reading the like 4 posts you all got out while I was typing mine I would maybe change some of the phrasing of my post and/or delete sectins but if I do that there will be another 5 posts I missed!

The big deep ender...........
Dang, I love this place. Totally. I've made so many friends here.
Time to go. I tried, I really did.
Do well you guys. There is a ton of talent here.
Best to all.
Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back