What's new

Multiple Exposure Help - D7000

So, on the D7000, you can't control the exposure while in multiple-exposure mode? That's a bummer, if true.


Sure you can. But you would have to intentionally over-expose both images to create a 'correct' exposure when they're combined. The black area of the first image isn't a 'transparent layer' like it is in PP software. It's just black (0,0,0) pixels. The camera is not capable of transparent layers, so it simply combines the black pixels with the properly exposed pixels from the second image. It therefore just darkens them.
 
So, on the D7000, you can't control the exposure while in multiple-exposure mode? That's a bummer, if true.

You can change exposure between shots. You have to adjust the timing. I believe that you have 10 seconds.

In the original video I saw on fstoppers I believe the girl said you can save an image and use it later on. A nice benefit of the 5D mIII.

Any D800 users please chime in.
 
I think you have longer than 10 seconds, but you can't turn the camera off as this resets the ME mode to OFF.
 
So, on the D7000, you can't control the exposure while in multiple-exposure mode? That's a bummer, if true.
Sure you can. But you would have to intentionally over-expose both images to create a 'correct' exposure when they're combined.
I see. But, knowing that's the case, why not just do that then? It should be the same amount for each exposure if both shots have a black mask involved to expose one, then the other.
 
I think you have longer than 10 seconds, but you can't turn the camera off as this resets the ME mode to OFF.

I thought I read something about the default is 10 can change to 30.
 
I see. But, knowing that's the case, why not just do that then? It should be the same amount for each exposure if both shots have a black mask involved to expose one, then the other.

I would think you end up severely limiting your dynamic range. If you must over-expose and image, say 3 stops, you run the risk of increasing blown-out highlight. All the multiple-exposure will do is reduce the white to a sickly gray.
 
I see. But, knowing that's the case, why not just do that then? It should be the same amount for each exposure if both shots have a black mask involved to expose one, then the other.

I would think you end up severely limiting your dynamic range. If you must over-expose and image, say 3 stops, you run the risk of increasing blown-out highlight. All the multiple-exposure will do is reduce the white to a sickly gray.
Seems like it would be worth playing with it a little to find out for sure what it's capable of, and what it's not. Seems a shame that the in-camera multiple exposure feature is so limited to just ghosting type multiples. Maybe because there's really not much call for it, what with all the post capabilities to work with it these days.

Check this out: Smile ? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that what he did above is any different than masking; In either case, part of the sensor gets no light in each exposure, rendering it black, and providing a "blank" space in the composition for a proper exposure during the other shutter actuation, including color, dynamic range, etc.
 
When using masks, you expose properly for each exposure as though it were a single shot, not as a calculated cumulative exposure value, using say, half the exposure value for each shot.

If you shoot with half the frame covered by a black mask, any subsequent image superimposed on that area will be rendered underexposed.

I set my d7000 up at my computer screen and metered it, using Manual mode. I set the camera for a 2-shot ME, and covered the left half of the frame for the first exposure.

Result:

D7K_6163.jpg


The left side is underexposed.
What happens if you then cover the right side of the screen for the second exposure?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom