Multnomah Falls, Oregon

Marc Kurth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My artistic impressions of the falls on a 19 deg. F early January morning, and a much warmer, foggy April morning. D200, 18-70 kit lens, hand held with elbows propped on wall.

Multnomah Falls is the most challenging place I have ever shot, so one of these days I will go back there, but next time I will bring a tripod and an ultra wide lens - neither of which I had for these shots.

Mult2.jpg

Mult3.jpg

Marc

How very cool to see the identical shot taken at two different times.

For some reason I prefer the first, even though I'm usually a fan of green foliage

The beauty of visiting the place when it's below freezing is that you can stand where you want to compose a shot without 400 people standing front of you. (Crampons would be good :) ) Some years, the falls will freeze up almost solid.

During warm weather, there is a continuous stream of people by the carload and busloads of tourists from before sunup, until after sundown - you take what can get!

Marc

I can imagine how difficult it is to get a sharp image there. And i know its selfish but busloads of tourists are annoying. So as you suggested winter is really good for photography.

Oh and i almost forgot, i like both of them but for some reason find the second one closer to me. Its probably because of the shutter speed and the effect it has on the water.

Multnomah Falls is the most challenging place I have ever shot, so one of these days I will go back there, but next time I will bring a tripod and an ultra wide lens - neither of which I had for these shots.
Both are very beautiful shots, can't really pick one over the other. How are you going to fight the mist with an ultra-wide lens? I was there in January with my 11-16 and lost the battle in a landslide (my camera is still shaking off the water :)). My next time will hopefully be with a sharp long lens.

i like the second shot better

Both are great shots..

I like the green contrast woth the water of the second..

Looks like lots of spray, or the typical rainy day there.............

I need to get back.. I have a couple of very faded prints from over 30 years ago....:D

Both are great shots..

I like the green contrast woth the water of the second..

Looks like lots of spray, or the typical rainy day there.............
I need to get back.. I have a couple of very faded prints from over 30 years ago....:D

Larry, as I said in your thread - I'm convinced your shot was indeed taken here. Bring out the others too!

Marc

Both are very beautiful shots, can't really pick one over the other. How are you going to fight the mist with an ultra-wide lens? I was there in January with my 11-16 and lost the battle in a landslide (my camera is still shaking off the water :)). My next time will hopefully be with a sharp long lens.

I grabbed a shot of the very top of the falls (complete with ice) at 300mm for the fun of it also. Again, next time I'm bringing a tripod!

3465.jpg

I looove the wintery shots! They're more unique than the summertime one that you see more frequently.

Thanks Zada,

Like I said, it is the most challenging place I've ever shot - and I was freezing wearing slacks, shirt/tie and simple jacket. I had a few hours to spare after a business meeting in Portland, so I decided to take a quick run up the gorge.

Marc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back