Murphy's Law and me kicking myself

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had a million things get delivered to my house and left on the porch. The 1 time I miss a package at the door, it goes missing.

Feels like there is nothing I can do. Called UPS, they really didn't care. As soon as I said the package wasn't there they said I had to call the sender and they would have to file a dispute. Adorama is closed but I think the sum of all this is going to be me not getting my monolight.

:-(

Last edited:
How do you know they left it?

Unfortunately, as the recipient of a package (not UPS's paying customer), UPS does not give two hoots what you think. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way, I definitely have felt your pain before. It's not just the people at your local depot being jerks, it's just how UPS does business. If you have a problem, take it up with the seller. You didn't pay UPS, so your complaints are not their problem.

UPS was so bad when I lived in Tulsa that I stopped using them. Had everything shipped FedEx and they were great. I hope Adorama can help you out!

How do you know they left it?

The tracking says delivered and the slip is gone.

My gut tells me it was the delivery person seeing a Adorama box and having a clue what could be inside. It was pretty heavy with a external battery for a strobe.

I'd contact Adorama and complain that it was never delivered and if there is a problem getting another one sent to you, dispute the charge on your credit card.

As a former UPS Christmas-season driver helper (delivering packages) and later on, a full time Fedex Home Delivery driver, I can tell you for sure that a strong likelihood exists that some unscrouplous person saw the 'door tag' UPS left for you indicating where the box was hidden and took the box. Perhaps the box was 'obvious' and they someone took it.

As a delivery driver, our instructions when leaving a package at a house with nobody home are (in my case, were) to 1) hide the package from easy view from the street 2) protect it from the weather (rain, snow, etc), and 3) leave a door tag the resident will likely see directing them to where the package was placed. In some cases, if it 'looked valuable', we'd leave it at a neighbor and the door tag would indicate where it was.

Having an enclosed porch is ideal. If the package is small enough, between the screen door and front/side door works well, too. After that, it's 'get creative' time. I've put packages behind shrubs, behind the garage, in a covered wood bin, whatever works. In my time delivering packages, I only had 3 packages reported for 'non delivery' and I still clearly remember I delivered the packages to the correct house. I even described the packages accurately to the customer when I returned to 'double check' if they had received them. 2 were on a covered porch and one was at the front door at the end of a 1/3 mile long driveway!

Unfortunately, the likelihood the package being stolen exists. It may have simple been delivered to the wrong house. That's easy to do in rural areas where the house number may be obscured or difficult to read from the street.

What works for me these days is I simply have the packages delivered to my workplace. If I'm not there, someone IS and they have to sign for it. When you place the online order, simply indicate the different delivery address. "After the fact", you can always go online and change the delivery address before it is 'out for delivery' (not later than 8pm the night before, just to be safe). Unfortunately, changing the delivery address is an extra cost that will go to your credit card.

As a former UPS Christmas-season driver helper (delivering packages) and later on, a full time Fedex Home Delivery driver, I can tell you for sure that a strong likelihood exists that some unscrouplous person saw the 'door tag' UPS left for you indicating where the box was hidden and took the box. Perhaps the box was 'obvious' and they someone took it.

As a delivery driver, our instructions when leaving a package at a house with nobody home are (in my case, were) to 1) hide the package from easy view from the street 2) protect it from the weather (rain, snow, etc), and 3) leave a door tag the resident will likely see directing them to where the package was placed. In some cases, if it 'looked valuable', we'd leave it at a neighbor and the door tag would indicate where it was.

What did you guys do with the TAGs that were signed? Are the scanned and kept on record?
There was no tag left saying it was delivered. And my roommate does not recall seeing the door tag I left when he left for work.

I have opened the dispute with Adorama and they say it will take about 5 business days to hear back.

Sorry to here that. Who ever took it, is pond scum. In my area people where going around stealing the packages that where left by UPS and often enough that it made the news.

That sucks. I've had bad experiences with UPS, too. Nothing like seeing them throw your new hard drive at your door and leave without ever coming up the steps. I mean, really? It had an Apple label on it, so they had a pretty good idea it was some sort of computer part or iPod. After having the same guy throw 3 different packages, I yelled at him. UPS never did anything about it. Apple replaced the drive, though.

That sucks. I've had bad experiences with UPS, too. Nothing like seeing them throw your new hard drive at your door and leave without ever coming up the steps. I mean, really? It had an Apple label on it, so they had a pretty good idea it was some sort of computer part or iPod. After having the same guy throw 3 different packages, I yelled at him. UPS never did anything about it. Apple replaced the drive, though.

I really just don't get people. I swear it seems like some have lost all concern for others.

I'm kinda down about this, but I am not out. Don't know that I will be picking up that monolight anytime soon, but who knows.

I hate when they say they attempted a delivery and no one was home when someone one was home all day and no I missed you tag on the door. Big Fat liars a holes.

You could try writing/emailing the manufacturer with the details of what happened. Maybe they'll help you out/comp you for the public relations benefit.

It's no guarantee, but a friend did that after a similar postal SNAFU and it worked .. the manufacturer sent him his product with a letter thanking him for being a customer.

You never know.

Ugh, I despise thieves. Hopefully it all works out for you. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back