must. get. dslr.

Line of Best Fit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really need a DSLR, like quick. Right now I am housing a Canon P&S with magnificent 3.1mp. Ouch.

Well, my big day is coming up and I think it's up to the E-420 or the E-520, Olympus. I'm still in grey. Something small and easy to carry around or that IS?

Any help, ideas, would be awesome. :)

Both cameras you mentioned are fine, but if you want far superior lens and accessory selection, get a Nikon D40, D80 or Canon Rebel.

I'd get the E-420, that thing looks like an awesome, portable little SLR. I kinda want to get one as a travel camera some day.

I originally was sure on the E-420. Then I started thinking of the advantages of the IS, and what if I didn't have it, blah blah.

Would it be like a huge loss not to have it? Or should you have it just in case?

E-420 and the E-520 are great cameras. Stay away no, RUN away from the d40 tho! <shivers>

The IS makes it nice. It's worth the extra IMHO! It's not a "necessity" tho. It's just a little added aid in lower light (slower shutter) situations.

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to head down to the shop next chance I get and just pick them both up and see what feels right.

Why run away from the d40? I'm considering buying one as my first dSLR.

Bifucator has a reputation as being trustworthy, and knowledgeable on this forum. However, his assessment of quality control on the D40 is unscientific and mostly fodder. More of a personal thing I guess. Anyways, the D40 is a fine candidate along with the others so don't deduce it because of Bifucators blitherings.

This is true. But pick one up (while handling other models from other makers) you may not think I'm exaggerating so much. And then look at all the features it's missing compared to similar priced models from non-canon and non-nikon models. Then make a check-list of all the features it's missing when you compare it to any of the bridge cameras. Heck, if someone actually did those things they might actually agree. We could start up a "I hate entry level Nikons & Canons" club! :D

The last time I picked one up in a store I actually assumed it was an empty gutted dummy just there for display purposes.

Last edited:
At the camera shop I work at, i've used the 420, 520, and E500. Along with Nikon and Canon gear from the Rebel XS/D40 all the way up to the D700 and 5D. Throw some Pentax cameras in there. I've also used all the sony's.

For the olympus cameras it pretty much boiled down to:

If you don't care about aspect ratio, noise, handling, the viewfinder, or perspective of having to use a 12mm lens for 24mm, you just want the cheapest DSLR you can find, then get an olympus.

Otherwise, avoid them like the plauge. The E500 is atrocious at anything above ISO 400.

The quality is on par with a higher end P&S, lousy for a DSLR.

So, the E520 is right around $650 ~ $700.

Sw1tchFX, what do think the best camera is considering ALL things (not weighting them) for $700 or less?

Body only? D80

With lens? Rebel XTi for $659

Most reactions

New Topics

Back