must-have filters?

Jethro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya guys :) I have a question about filters..are there any that you think should be a part of every photographers equipment? I've never used any so I am a complete noob in this area..any advice on which ones are really useful and handy for portraits, some landscapes and nature and occasional animals and sports? Is there any filter that you never take off your lense? I've heard that coloured ones are useless now since effect can be added in PS, but I know nothing about the other ones, when to use them and what effect they provide..ty for your help :)

A circular polarizer is definitely useful in a lot of situations. It filters out reflected light based on the angle of reflection, so you can rotate it to adjust which parts of the scene are affected. If you're shooting 90 degrees to the sun, it will make a blue sky blue-er, and enhance contrast in clouds. It can take the glare off of water and snow. You can use it to soften specular highlights in portraits. etc...

And I take every filter off eventually. I do use UV filters to protect against schmutz, but they come off if I'm in a situation where they're likely to flare or affect contrast. Polarizing filters eat 1-2 stops of light, so I only use it when I specifically want the effect.

ND filters would be another (along with the CPL), but only on the camera when needed.

Also search the forums using google, with this query:

filters site:www.thephotoforum.com

You'd never know from the search on this site, but there is actually quite a lot of information in old threads.

The only filter that cannot be reproduced in pp is the polarizer. It is the single must have.

There are certain things you can do with neutral density filters, and graduated neutral densities, that can't be replicated in post. But those are very specialized situations, the CPL is useful much more often.

I would strongly recommend Nik software filters, since selectively filtering a small part of the photo becomes possible. Viveza is also excellent for selective postprocessing of part of the image.

skieur

A CPL, ND & GND are the three I would recommend. You don't necessarily need the best / most expensive, but you shouldn't cheap out either. I would also urge you to consider multi-coated filters.

I do not use UV filters for protection either. If that is something you are concerned with, consider a clear glass filter instead. There are times when a protective filter can come in handy.... at the beach with sand and salt air, at a rodeo with dust flying everywhere or at a motocross event where you're close to the action and mud or rocks can come your way.

Some light reading for you.

Filters by Thom Hogan

ditto cpl, nd and gnd filters. i like the square drop in filters for gnd so you can slide and rotate them as needed.

I don't leave home without my Amex and Polarizer
badteeth.gif

I use UV filters on all of my lenses now. But not for protection. Some films are a little sensitive to UV light, UV filters cut out the cyan hazes for me.

My ideal set:

CPL
3 stop ND
10 stop ND
0.3 and 0.6 stop soft and hard GND's

That should cover 99% of shooting needs (for digital).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back