My 1st photo with my new lighthing kit and backdrops

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still waiting for DH to install my PS Lightroom3 into my new laptop. Until then I just edited this quickly in picknic (uggggg) My son is in the picture. This is his true smile the goof ball he is. Just had opened the packages and put it all together in jammies. Sorry for the poor outfit and his screwdriver.

This is my first go with lighting and the use of backdrops. Im heading out later to buy a piece of molding to get the 2 drops working correctly. I'm heading to the library tomorrow to pick up some books yal told me about to read. I bought an 1800 watt lighting kit. I used all 3 umbrellas. I shot at 1/100 5.0 and an iso 1600. I feel like this photo could have had more light. Probably should have used my flash. But hay he's 2 I'm surprised I got him to sit there ONCE and say cheese! Rather suprpised actually lol!!

Thanks guys!

Photo 1

Gavin by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr

What I like: I like how I actually got his smile.
What I dont like: I dont like how dark it is I wish I used a flash. I don't like how its blurred. I wish I used a faster speed. Maybe a tripod?

iso 1600 seems kind of high for an indoor portrait with 1800 watts of light. Something's a little off there. It sounds like it's continuous lighting?

You're eye is always drawn to the brightest point on the photograph, in this case his diaper. I'd try to tone that down a little in PP, for the next shot I wouldn't want it in there.

How far away were your lights ? did you ask about lights because most would have told you not to buy continous lighting as you cannot freeze movement at low shutter speeds

I have to run eat dinner so I'll probably come back to this later, but first thing I noticed in 2 seconds that bothered me is the floor.

You can see where the chair presses into it and warps it... get some plywood and lay the faux floor over that so that anyone stepping on it doesn't cause it to buckle and it looks more real. :sexywink:

He's really, really cute. I kind of like the addition of the screw driver and pj shirt. Photos of kids should be fun. ...

Personally, I think that constant lights are a good place to start. I now use them as well as off camera flashes (but they are expensive.). However, for control of a constant light, you have 2 ways to do it. One is put something in front of it. The other is to move it. If you move the light closer to the subject, you'll get more light.

There is another way to get more light into you photograph. Using reflectors. They very in degree of reflectiveness. I'd recommend looking around for things that are white, silver(color), and gold. Silver will provide the most light. Gold will give the photo a nice warm cast to it.

How far away were your lights ? did you ask about lights because most would have told you not to buy continous lighting as you cannot freeze movement at low shutter speeds

No I didn't ask about lights. :( I found this forum after I had purchased the lights :( But my lights were about 8-10ft away. I'm going to the library today to borrow some books on photography.

What should I buy? I'm still within return time frame on the light set I bought especially b/c it came broken so I'm waiting for the co to email me back. I'd be down shipping costs but that would be a lesson learned then. lol

I have to run eat dinner so I'll probably come back to this later, but first thing I noticed in 2 seconds that bothered me is the floor.

You can see where the chair presses into it and warps it... get some plywood and lay the faux floor over that so that anyone stepping on it doesn't cause it to buckle and it looks more real. :sexywink:

Thanks!! I didn't even think of that!! I'm actually going to be doing the roof on my house in a few weeks (NOT FUN! LOL) so whats an extra piece of ply wood! lol!!

...What should I buy? I'm still within return time frame on the light set I bought especially b/c it came broken so I'm waiting for the co to email me back. I'd be down shipping costs but that would be a lesson learned then. lol
The Flashpoint line from Adorama is very well regarded as a 'good bang for the buck' entry-level kit. If you can afford to eat the shipping on this kit, I would definitely suggest returning it and picking up some of the FP gear; if you've got a little more money in the budget, than the Alien Bee line by Paul Buff is not bad gear.

He's really, really cute. I kind of like the addition of the screw driver and pj shirt. Photos of kids should be fun. ...

Personally, I think that constant lights are a good place to start. I now use them as well as off camera flashes (but they are expensive.). However, for control of a constant light, you have 2 ways to do it. One is put something in front of it. The other is to move it. If you move the light closer to the subject, you'll get more light.

There is another way to get more light into you photograph. Using reflectors. They very in degree of reflectiveness. I'd recommend looking around for things that are white, silver(color), and gold. Silver will provide the most light. Gold will give the photo a nice warm cast to it.

I have always loved doing outdoor portrait shots of families, kids and animals. The whole indoor thing is VERY new. Well lets be honest I've only been really trying hard to "capture" better shots for the past year. Haven't done much reading. Now that I've joined this place I've decided I need some new reading material for the bathroom ROFLMBO!!!

As far as clearness. Do you think I should have used my flash? and adjusted my iso there? I should probably have used a faster shutter speed too right? Maybe closer to 200 to get the clarity that I was trying to get.

I am looking into attached flashes for my camera. I know I want the better one so I'm saving my $$$ up. I was thinking the speed light 580ex II. It seems the reviews are better on it vs. the speedlight 430ex II the I have not asked about that on this forum YET. I dont wanna be that PITA noobie. I can do research online and get books :)

and thanks! HE has never said cheese! We have been practicing smile b/c well hes my easiest guinea pig! and he sat on his stool and gave me a smile and said CHEEESE! Another new word! So for me even tho its blurry it did capture a memory. So I didn't fail all together hahaha!

I was just looking at reflectors on amazon and ebay actually!! Figure thats the next good resasonabley price purchase I can make. I've been trying to use a little bit of each paycheck and haven't tapped into the savings at all. :)

Thanks!! I think what I'm gonna do is obviously have to return the broken piece that came in my set but keep it. USe it for experiementing with my kid and cousins etc etc... It really was a cheap sale on ebay. You get what you pay for as the familar phrase goes.... SAVE up some $$ (I like to have a nice savings and would rather save more $$ and buy this later) I'm thinking this will be a great XMAS present to myself :) and the external flash from DH ROFL!

I hope this link works correctly but this is what I did purchase....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330592384951&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get the lights nearer they were too far away for the power they are, the nearer the lights are the softer the light

Last edited:
Do you guys think part of my problem was I also had the lights set up High. Like about 6ish feet. I shouldhave set them up lower? since my subject is lower?

Traditionally, you can set your main light at 45/45. 45 degrees from the subject at a 45 degree angle. your fill light will be opposite at half the power of the main light. You can add a hair light at about a 1/4 of the main light. Continous lights can get very hot. I suggest monolights. I don't recommend mixing flash with continuous. I have never liked the quality of light that you get. Indoor portraits with monolights will let you modify the lights so you can shoot at iso 100, shutter speed around 60-125 and an aperture of 5.6 or 8 ( I personally adjust for iso 100, 1/125 at f8, and f11 for groups. ) Good luck shooting and cute kid!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back