My attempts

I am very offended :O
I'm a girl not a boy :(

apart from that thanks :)

Ok, no. Seriously... no.

He's 14 so let's not dash his hopes, but let's not artificially pump him up either. The world has enough of that lately and we don't need to contribute to it here.

I disagree. With the experience and equipment being used, I think these shots are 'good'. Of course, I'm fairly new myself so what am I to say? I don't think there was any "artificial pumping up" going on here at all. Are these photos going to find themselves word-famous - no. I also don't recall saying they were "awesome". Are there people with more experience to offer more critical advice - sure. I don't think sincerely commenting on people's work, good or bad, is wasting anyone's time or inhibiting growth. I think when you participate in a forum for people to post comments regardless of experience, you need to expect less than stellar or critical reviews. Not everyone is an expert. Perhaps there should be an experience requirement to offer comments? Geez. :confused: And what's wrong with being a little encouraging to people anyway? People spend more time on here complaining about "useless comments" and posts being in the wrong area than they do offering sincere advice for the original poster sometimes. Please focus your expertise on the work, not on us "useless comment" people. :thumbup:

I'll insure more critical viewpoints in the future. Please allow those people who comment "incorrectly" to learn from the experts, as well as those who post images for commenting instead of just jumping to the conclusion of useless, inhibiting feedback. Let's also not forget that fortunately, photography is a subjective art and open to interpretation in many ways by many people.

SavannahBC - thanks for sharing your photos. I think your on your way, but like me, still have much experience to go before we produce those "whoa" photos.

Ok, no. Seriously... no.

He's 14 so let's not dash his hopes, but let's not artificially pump him up either. The world has enough of that lately and we don't need to contribute to it here.

I disagree. With the experience and equipment being used, I think these shots are 'good'. Of course, I'm fairly new myself so what am I to say? I don't think there was any "artificial pumping up" going on here at all. Are these photos going to find themselves word-famous - no. I also don't recall saying they were "awesome". Are there people with more experience to offer more critical advice - sure. I don't think sincerely commenting on people's work, good or bad, is wasting anyone's time or inhibiting growth. I think when you participate in a forum for people to post comments regardless of experience, you need to expect less than stellar or critical reviews. Not everyone is an expert. Perhaps there should be an experience requirement to offer comments? Geez. :confused: And what's wrong with being a little encouraging to people anyway? People spend more time on here complaining about "useless comments" and posts being in the wrong area than they do offering sincere advice for the original poster sometimes. Please focus your expertise on the work, not on us "useless comment" people. :thumbup:

I'll insure more critical viewpoints in the future. Please allow those people who comment "incorrectly" to learn from the experts, as well as those who post images for commenting instead of just jumping to the conclusion of useless, inhibiting feedback. Let's also not forget that fortunately, photography is a subjective art and open to interpretation in many ways by many people.

You got all that energy out of my, what? 1 or 2 sentences to you? And you seemed to ignore the fact that my critique to the OP was encouraging and constructive... but honest.

My point to you was only that OP's shots weren't good, which was your statement. They had significant technical and compositional issues (no offense, OP).

Are they fine given some limited level of experience? Sure. That's different than good, however. Do you, perhaps, happen to like them? I suppose that's possible, but that's not what you said. Do you have a different definition of good than me? Perhaps, but I don't really think that's what happened here.

You wanted to be encouraging. That's awesome. You're probably a nice person. Probably nicer than me. :) I, however, am trying to elevate the critique around here a little bit and part of that is calling a duck a duck. Not calling it a swan because we don't want someone's feelings to be hurt.

Is it my place to elevate the critique? Absolutely not. However, the mods have been telling us that the nature and direction of the board is "member driven", so they've effectively deputized us all. If you disagree with my approach, then feel free to say so and you can cancel me out. Isn't that useful and awesome?

:lol:

Anyway, I meant no offense to you, personally. As I say... calling a duck a duck. If you take value from what I said, then I've elevated the critique in multiple ways, right? If not, consider me an arse and don't worry about it. :)

Well, I have taken on manaheim's advice and ordered that book :)
But each to their own in photography, some will like simple photo's that are just nice to look at, some will like photo's that can tell a story, etc.
So no need to get arsey with each other xD

^^^ +1 (to manaheim) while I was reading through all the comments, I was thinking to myself, "someone needs to tell this kid the truth" no they aren't good, but your just starting, they aren't suppose to be good yet! but it looks like your on the right track.

Manaheim basically said everything I was thinking.. so I won't say it all again

But each to their own in photography, some will like simple photo's that are just nice to look at, some will like photo's that can tell a story, etc.

your response to manaheim is a prime example of someone who does not know how to take HONEST critisim. Read the PACT (linked in a lot of our signatures) if you cannot take honest advice, don't ask for it. The pictures aren't good, and people don't like looking at boring pictures. a bunch of grass does not tell a story..

Keep shooting and keep learning.

For photo #1, I will crop the photo to remove the object located at the lower left hand corner.

For photo #3, Nice shadow depth of field. But personally, I do not find a main subject in the photo so it seems missing something. Perhaps try to put an object in the photo. Like your shoes, or anything you can think of and see if that make a different. Also , watch out for the slightly tilted horizon on #3.

I'm 14 and for around about a year now I've taken an interest to photography. I've tried a few times but my pictures never seem as good as I hope. I haven't yet got round to editing my photo's, but I do plan on making a start on tweaking them a little bit. If I'm honest, even I know these pictures aren't that good :\ but anyway some advice on how to improve would be much appreciated, thanks!

Buy, or have your parents buy for you, "Understanding Exposure". Read it. Learn.

Get a DSLR if you're serious. Used is awesome. Canon is probably your best bet (suck it haters). Nikon has a large used market, but their older DSLRs used CCD type sensors as opposed to Canon's use of CMOS. The CCD sensor cameras allowed for some neat tricks, but the high ISO performance was lacking compared to Canon's CMOS sensors.

Check www.photography-on-the.net . They have great used deals. Here's a Canon 20D ("semi-professional" camera of it's era) with the 18-55 kit that's $285 shipped & paypal'ed. The LCD is in need of a replacement bulb, but it's a good start.

Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon 30D, $400 + shipping.
Canon Digital Photography Forums

mmm the 20D and 30D are both great cameras. My first SLR is a 30D and I am loving it! seems like there is nothing it can't do with the right technique! lol

As far as the pictures go, they are decent. not great, but not terrible and blurry haha.

I will take a different stand and say age has no effect on picture taking what so ever, I dont care if someone is 14 but has been taking pictures for 4 years, that person is going to be experienced and know a thing or two. I am 20 and have been doing this for a couple years now, just because I am 20 means someone who is 20 automatically knows more than me? lol I think not.

So keep taking pictures, the more pictures you take the more experience you gain.

One thing I noticed in the 3 pictures you posted was the subject, none of them really seemed to have a definite subject, the first could be the rocks which is fine ( I think 1 is your best BTW) the second... eh really nothing in that one, cool lighting tho, and the third... eh you focused on some grass blades doesn't do much for me and doesn't seem interesting.

lets start here, what types of photography interest you? seems like outdoor type shots? If thats the case maybe go on a hike or something and see what is interesting, IMO a bench with a nice background is more interesting than a tree.

Hope this helps and your not offended :)

your response to manaheim is a prime example of someone who does not know how to take HONEST critisim. Read the PACT (linked in a lot of our signatures) if you cannot take honest advice, don't ask for it. The pictures aren't good, and people don't like looking at boring pictures. a bunch of grass does not tell a story..

Not that I should be picking on someone who is supporting my statements, but... technically the pact also says "You don't agree with the critique? Fine. You don't have to... handle it constructively and take what you think is valuable from it and move on."

So, really, SHE responded in the way that made the most overall sense (if you assume the pact is a good one).

That being said, I don't agree too much with the whole "art is subjective" thing as a universal defense. One could certainly make the argument that (for example, not picking on her pictures specifically) "Overexposed and fuzzy pictures are my style!" but I personally think that more often than not this is a rationalization of an inability to focus or expose images properly to begin with.

That is, however, just my take.

Hey if I were you I would get started editing your pictures on the computer. It can make a big difference. When I was just starting out like 2 or 3 years ago I used picasa by google. It works fine for something that's free. But now I have moved up to useing Lightroom. It can be pricy but worth it! But I started when I was 13 with a d50 and I wansnt good but 2 years later (I'm 15 also we should start a section "the young people" IDK) I think I'm doing alright. So just stick with it!

^^^ +1 (to manaheim) while I was reading through all the comments, I was thinking to myself, "someone needs to tell this kid the truth" no they aren't good, but your just starting, they aren't suppose to be good yet! but it looks like your on the right track.

Well incase you haven't noticed I did take on manaheim's advice, I said that i've order the book.. So is that really not taking honest criticism. No, it's not :) I was quite glad that manaheim posted that comment. In my opinion, the pictures aren't great. But i guess they're the best I've came up with. And as for 3, it was actually an accident, I was meant to take a picture of the park, but it came out like that, although the other pics I took of the park didn't. I do want people to tell me honest opinions, just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I'm gonna go cry if someone says they don't like my photos. I just take on board what people say :) Oh and also I've tried editing my photo's on paintshop pro 7. I can't seem to be happy with what i do but I'm working on it :) thanks for the advice guys!

Well incase you haven't noticed I did take on manaheim's advice, I said that i've order the book.. So is that really not taking honest criticism. No, it's not :) I was quite glad that manaheim posted that comment. In my opinion, the pictures aren't great. But i guess they're the best I've came up with. And as for 3, it was actually an accident, I was meant to take a picture of the park, but it came out like that, although the other pics I took of the park didn't. I do want people to tell me honest opinions, just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I'm gonna go cry if someone says they don't like my photos. I just take on board what people say :) Oh and also I've tried editing my photo's on paintshop pro 7. I can't seem to be happy with what i do but I'm working on it :) thanks for the advice guys!

It's OK girl, it takes a lot of hard work to be as good as I am.

^^^ not to mention as handsome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back