My Audition

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
Well, this morning at 9:15, I went in for my Clarinet Audition. Now for any of you who have never had an audition, it's like an interview where you don't get a chance to speak. Very scary.

So...it went pretty well. I'm fairly happy with it, my solo could have been a bit better phrased, and I had a couple hiccups here and there, but I got most of what really counted. Hopefully I'll (because of my Eb playing) get to play Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring with the top Orchestra. Here's hoping :mrgreen:

clarinetJWD said:
Well, this morning at 9:15, I went in for my Clarinet Audition. Now for any of you who have never had an audition, it's like an interview where you don't get a chance to speak. Very scary.

So...it went pretty well. I'm fairly happy with it, my solo could have been a bit better phrased, and I had a couple hiccups here and there, but I got most of what really counted. Hopefully I'll (because of my Eb playing) get to play Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring with the top Orchestra. Here's hoping :mrgreen:

Joe, I know the auditioning process all too well, I have been on both sides of it many times. I'm sure you made it, as long as you're happy with the way it came out. Most of the time we are our worst critic.

Have fun playing the Rite, one of my top fave pieces for orchestra.

Thanks, I find out tentatively as soon as everyone has gone, and for sure next Monday or so.

The Rite of Spring is probably the greatest piece of the 20th century. Absolutely genious. Hence why I want to play it so much, even if it is harder than anything I've ever played before...

clarinetJWD said:
The Rite of Spring is probably the greatest piece of the 20th century. Absolutely genious. Hence why I want to play it so much, even if it is harder than anything I've ever played before...

That she is! If you like the Rite then you'll also love Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. Another genius at work.

Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is also Phenominal ;)
Let's see...You heard Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra or Corigliano's Symphony "Of Rage and Remembrance"? While neither is as good as Rite or Bartok, they are truly great 20th century pieces (20th century is my favorite era, so I know a lot of music from it ;))
Vodoocat, I'm a clarinet student at the Peabody Conservatory, so each year before school we have to reaudition for Ensemble placements. We can be in Wind Ensemble, Concert Orch, or Symphony Orch. I'm hoping for Symphony, but I'd be happy with Concert :)

clarinetJWD said:
Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is also Phenominal ;)
Let's see...You heard Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra or Corigliano's Symphony "Of Rage and Remembrance"? While neither is as good as Rite or Bartok, they are truly great 20th century pieces (20th century is my favorite era, so I know a lot of music from it ;))
Vodoocat, I'm a clarinet student at the Peabody Conservatory, so each year before school we have to reaudition for Ensemble placements. We can be in Wind Ensemble, Concert Orch, or Symphony Orch. I'm hoping for Symphony, but I'd be happy with Concert :)

Peabody is a grrrrreat music school! Congrats for making it there, you must be a really good clarinet player! Who is your teacher?

Yes, I am familiar with Lutoslawski's work and we played Corigliano's piece recently. Great, on both accounts. I also like Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, the antithesis of both Stravinsky and Bartok.

Well best of luck to you! I agree with Mitica. Just getting into Peabody is a great indication you are very talented with the clarinet.
Do you stick to mainly classical? or do you play some jazz as well?

Yeesh. I remember auditions as well. We always had to re-audition for choral placement. I'm the exact opposite of most singers (I'm not a diva! :lol: ) I like the choral experience much more than the solo experience so auditions were not my favorite thing. I hope things go well.

Ahhh.... those heady days of being a music student in college. :)

Congrats on getting through it Joe :hug: I knew you would do well!!! Let us know how it all turns out :) Do a Scotty jib ;) :lmao:

I don't think I know any Gorecki at all...I'll have to check out that

I do stick with classical, mainly because I've never had any instruction in jazz...

Aoide, I didn't know you were a music student. Looks like we're everywhere :lol:

So far all I know about my placement is that I am in an orchestra, but I really don't know which one...

clarinetJWD said:
I don't think I know any Gorecki at all...I'll have to check out that

I do stick with classical, mainly because I've never had any instruction in jazz...

Aoide, I didn't know you were a music student. Looks like we're everywhere :lol:

So far all I know about my placement is that I am in an orchestra, but I really don't know which one...

The best recording of Henryk Gorecki's Third Symphony is done by London Sinfonietta directed by David Zinnman and with Dawn Upshaw as a singer (great voice, perfect pitch!!). Under Elektra Nonesuch label.

Joe, do you master Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue clarinet solo? ;) One of the greatest solos ever written for clarinet, IMHO. Also, have you played much chamber music? That's one thing I recommend highly, more so than playing recitals or in an orchestra.

One more thing, Music and Photography seem to be walking hand in hand. :)

clarinetJWD said:

Yes. Were as in past tense. My college days are starting to become hazy in my old age. :eek:ldman:

I was in band and choir both all the way through middle school and high school. Actually I played clarinet in high school! :cheer:

I had to make a choice and I chose to become a choir director. So now I teach middle school choir. But I love knowing that you play clarinet.

Ohhh good luck!
I've only ever done one exam - grade 3 years and years ago. Never wanted to do another one after that. I could've played in the Olympic band too for Sydney in 2000 but I freaked out that I had to audition and didn't do it. :-(

Most reactions

Back