my B&W view on landscapes

scheffer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I was looking for some pictures to put in a frame, and when browsing through my older pictures I came across these. Turned them into B&W by taking the red channel and playing a little with the levels. They may be a tad too dark, now that I see them on a different monitor. Pictures where taken somewhere in the US, except for the windmill.. Guess where I am coming from..

enjoy,
Danny

Attachments

• $IMG_6790.jpg
    $IMG_6790.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 100
  • $IMG_6791.jpg
    $IMG_6791.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 114
  • $IMG_6794.jpg
    $IMG_6794.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 96
  • $C7ZB7102.jpg
    $C7ZB7102.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 98
  • $IMG_6797.jpg
    $IMG_6797.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
My lord these photos, are incredible. This has deffinetely changed my whole outlook on the way my photo tactics are done!

nice photos man, that last one is a winner in my book.

nice technique btw, never heard of that (delete red channel) to make a b&w conversion. does it get decent results for every picture? or just pictures with a lot of light/shadows/whatever? will have to try that some time ...

where did you go in the us if i may ask?

Hi Ernie, thanks for the nice words. Actually, I deleted the blue and green channel and used the red. I guess there are too many different ways to convert color into BW, but what I do is I simply look at the three channels separately and pick the nicest one. For skies, typically it is the red. For plants, probably the green. If you are really familiar with PS (which I am definitely not) a combination is probably better.

I took these pictures when I was driving from Sequoia National Monument to LA. I think I just left the mountains.

Danny

I like the third one. Actually, I just took some pictures of a similar gate about half an hour ago...so that could be why I'm drawn to it. :)

Keep it up!
Tina

You have done some great post processing to these. The tones are excellent. I also use that channel technique, and it is one of the easiest ways to get great results. I know there are better ways, but this is surely the quickest.

Hi Ernie, thanks for the nice words. Actually, I deleted the blue and green channel and used the red. I guess there are too many different ways to convert color into BW, but what I do is I simply look at the three channels separately and pick the nicest one. For skies, typically it is the red. For plants, probably the green. If you are really familiar with PS (which I am definitely not) a combination is probably better.

I took these pictures when I was driving from Sequoia National Monument to LA. I think I just left the mountains.

Danny
ow, must have read that wrong.
well it gives better results than a simple desaturate, that's for sure.

la after a beautiful national park hey, that must have been disappointing :)

I really like these- the sky is great! :thumbup::thumbup:

I love these photos. I love the color and the light used in the second photo.
Very well done.

Most reactions

Back