My Barred Owl Buddy is Back :)

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
barred1.png

This is just copy+pasted from my Facebook post, so some of the stuff might not be as relevant here, but bear with me...I'm in a rush to head back out and try to get some more photos of these owls

This photo is an example of how important networking can be in photography. Some of you who have followed me for a while may remember that I was lucky enough to photograph a Barred Owl in my area a lot this winter, until a large outdoor event scared it off. Quite honestly, I was heartbroken that my time with this owl was over- even though I had been completely spoiled by many afternoons alone photographing this bird.

On one of those afternoons, I struck up conversation with a woman walking her dog (she was probably curious what I was doing lurking on her road everyday for the last few weeks haha). Fast forward to last week, and that same woman messaged me saying this owl and it's new family had been perching in her yard every night, inviting me over anytime to watch for them.

Over the last few years, through photography, I've connected with some of the nicest people I've ever met. The moments that they go out of their way to help me- in whichever way they can, asking nothing in return, warms my heart.
Networking and just striking up conversation with random people I encounter has brought me into some amazing situations I would've never achieved on my own, and is something I'd recommend other photographers engage in whenever they can (but also be prepared to meet some people who are the antithesis of what I'm talking about here).

I sat for two nights in a row, waiting and hoping I'd get a glimpse at these owls, and last night just as the light was fading near sunset, this owl silently flew in and perched on a tree directly in front of me. The happiness I felt seeing this owl again, knowing it survived the rather harsh winter, even going on to have some babies, was profound. I apologize for the long winded description, but it was a great night :allteeth:

Great photo and don't apologize for the long story! It makes the photo even better knowing the story behind it. You're right you really can meet some cool people through photography and it totally paid off for you it looks like. Now I must ask since you've spent some time with this Owl, have you gave it a name?

That's a beautiful shot, I heard a pair of barred owls in the woods behind my house this past winter but was never able to find them. I swear they were laughing at me every time I went out to shovel snow :(

Great photo and don't apologize for the long story! It makes the photo even better knowing the story behind it. You're right you really can meet some cool people through photography and it totally paid off for you it looks like. Now I must ask since you've spent some time with this Owl, have you gave it a name?

Hah, I haven't

That's a beautiful shot, I heard a pair of barred owls in the woods behind my house this past winter but was never able to find them. I swear they were laughing at me every time I went out to shovel snow :(

You could try an owl call and see if they respond or even fly in...some people feel like that's interfering with wildlife but it's been known to work

Great shot!

thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back