My Best Shot Ever

Don’t be so resistant to criticism when it comes from people with decades more experience.

I didn’t read every other post so sorry if this has been discussed already but imo this scene is “busy” because the lines are all over the place. The branches are going several different ways, the water another, and there are no real leading lines to the subject. This is just not that easy to look at. Now, that is not a knock on the technical aspects of the photo as capturing the right exposure with this type of scene is difficult and I agree with not blurring the water but... Compositionally, I think a different angle with maybe a wider perspective that somehow leads the eye to the subject by using those branches would improve this. I viewed the rest of the set on Flickr and don’t see any other takes in this scene so maybe that was the only angle? If so, maybe some dodge and burn to darken the background and better isolate the subject would eliminate some of the “busy” aspects of this.

Ok thanks I wasn't resistant I am just new to this and didn't understand what they were meaning by busy. Also like I said my feet were in the water so this is the only angle to shoot it from unless it was summer and the water was way down but then wouldn't have the ice

I just needed an interpretation of what busy meant because I am thinking one thing like too many objects in the photo and not like SquarePeg posted. when people say they are new just a word explaining why its not right doesn't help much if the term isn't explained. I have broad shoulders and can be ripped apart and wont hurt my feelings. but trying to understand why people are seeing something I am not without knowing what they are saying is like me trying to understand a foreigner in a foreign language.

Ok thanks I wasn't resistant I am just new to this and didn't understand what they were meaning by busy. Also like I said my feet were in the water so this is the only angle to shoot it from unless it was summer and the water was way down but then wouldn't have the ice

I gotcha. I don’t really use the term busy. A better way to describe it would be lacking in interest or flat. Try and compose a photo in such a way to show depth and lead the viewers eye into the scene. It is one reason why blurred water works so well. Your eye follows it. When I first saw this photo my eye darted around and I found myself trying to figure it out.

Most reactions

Back