My Best Shot Ever

JosephH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.proflooney.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well considering my camera only arrived a week ago. But after abt 1500 photos last week with some good some bad I took time today to take all the critiques and suggestions and Go out today, the start of week 2 in Photography for me and put everything together looking for that 1 good shot.

I ended up only culling 2 out of 55 shots and came out with some great landscape shots even had a Bald Eagle Photo bomb me.

But this is my Absolutely Best Photo I have taken

Iso 280
200MM
f/5.6
1/1000
Best Waterfall-01.jpg

I should mention that during the summer that water fall is about a 20 foot drop. There is a roller damn on the other side of the island on the Right side of photo, that in the old days they would put beams on top of the damn to divert the river around the island to this waterfall which has a Power plant next to it

Thanks but thats just for small stuff like exposure blurr etc its doesnt count the ones I kept that are iffy in composition only because they are pics I wanted and not because they were without some teensy flaw

If anyone would like to see the full shoot from today I have 47 in my flicker (the rest were just Dupes when I shot 5 frames a sec)

Landscapes

Last edited:
Very nice, eventually you will get used to the new camera, and which angles you like to shoot from and you will get less throw aways and more keepers. Looks like your off to a good start.

I like the red flood gate in the series on your flickr page too. :)

I couldnt get a good shot of all of it due to distance. It really isnt a flood gate it is part of the Hennepin canal here that ran down from Chicago in the old days. It worked like a series of locks. The barges were brought down not by boats but by donkeys, and every so often they had to go through locks to go up or down the river stuff that locks are used for. theres miles and miles of it still left. this one after tons of neglect about 10 yrs or so ago they dredged them out some and did work so it just wasnt stagnant swamp water.

I dont Know why but I get people telling me this shot is too busy I need to crop it. I have done different crops and the picture just looks like crap without all the elements in telling the story. I dont know why they say its too busy as when I look at it my eye goes directly to the volitile water

I dont Know why but I get people telling me this shot is too busy I need to crop it. I have done different crops and the picture just looks like crap without all the elements in telling the story. I dont know why they say its too busy as when I look at it my eye goes directly to the volitile water

Crop it? I think the shot is fine as it is shown above. Cropping it might very well lessen the impact. The way I see it, the downed log on the left, AND the concrete support on the right are both absolutely necessary! There's nothing really to crop.

TY thats what I been trying to say til blue in the face with a couple guys on another forum. I have no Idea what they talking about too busy its supposed to be busy all that water being so violent

Didn't crop but did do some distortion control because you had to shoot from a less than perfect angle (water seeks its own level) and did some cloning for what I think might be a sign, upper middle left and just for grins and giggles, slightly adjusted the darks and lights to create a bit more drama in the foreground to help pull it away from the background. Just another set of eyes and only meant as a suggestion.

joe h.jpg

Not claiming this is my best. I am hoping someone has the skill and time to edit this. Please make the lower old building black & White while leaving to top color. Thanks
Sorry if this request is against the rules.
45686493882_af1d7c5f17_o.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back