my Butterfly Project 2019

gk fotografie

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Butterfly project

After visiting Artis Zoo in Amsterdam last Sunday, I gave myself an assignment for this summer: visit the butterfly gardens of Artis Zoo, Blijdorp Zoo Rotterdam and Antwerpen Zoo - Belgium. Animal photography has never been in my interest, let alone that I'd set out for day and dew to photograph special birds etc. Last year I'd already visited the butterfly garden in Blijdorp Zoo and noticed that you actually roam freely among hundreds of butterflies, but that they are barely sitting still and if they do, they are gone when you approach them with a camera.

I know the basic zoom lens 18-55 mm is barely adequate for things like this, but since my last open heart surgery in September 2018 I do have an extra problem and that's an irreparable strong and irregular heartbeat that makes my body fluctuate considerably. Unfortunately lens and/or body stabilization do not really work in my situation. Slower shutter speeds or a bit more telephoto, it's all not impossible, but very difficult. Still I don't feel like dragging a tripod continuously, so, my challenge on several fronts is there, I won't be bored in the coming months.
(who can help me with the name of the unknown butterfly species (#3) - I'm grateful in advance)

Gerard

(Heliconius hecale)
View attachment 175060

(Caligo atreus)
View attachment 175063

???
View attachment 175061

Last edited:
I find a mono-pod quite a bit easier to use if I'm going to be moving around a lot. Much more mobile and quite a bit lighter than a tripod with almost the same stability.

And there's always a faster lens..

I agree with RVT1K about using a mono-pod in your project. In my experience they are 'jittery' characters who tend to flit about randomly. On the other hand, you do seem to have captured these three quite nicely.

Great photos. You should probably venture into the micro 4/3 game if you can swing it. They have some pretty small, long focal length zooms and primes. That looks like a blue tiger swallowtail

Nice pics! Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a monopod that only weighs 0.77 lbs. and a 70-200 mm zoom that only weighs 14.1 ounces. It's true it adds weight to the camera if you're carrying them both but you have a strap for that and the leg can be retracted for carrying and the monopod really does help a lot with keeping the weight of the camera and lens off your arms and steadying everything. Oh, and they can be dirt cheap, mine was only $23.99. Granted, it's not top of the line name brand but it's made like it is. I love mine! (K&F Concept)

Looks like you rose to the occasion, great set.

Great set!

..... I do have an extra problem .....

Hey Gerard, Great set of images. I can't decide which one I like the most, so I quess I have to wait for some more. :1219: I can relate to your "problem" which in actuality is only a "challange". I had a mini-stroke in November 2017 and since then I am challanged with taking images hand-holding the camera. But our love of photography and the joy with sharing our "visions" with others will always overcome whatever challanges may come. I look forward to viewing more of the world as seen through your eyes and captured by your camera! :popcorn:

..... I do have an extra problem .....

Hey Gerard, Great set of images. I can't decide which one I like the most, so I quess I have to wait for some more. :1219: I can relate to your "problem" which in actuality is only a "challange". I had a mini-stroke in November 2017 and since then I am challanged with taking images hand-holding the camera. But our love of photography and the joy with sharing our "visions" with others will always overcome whatever challanges may come. I look forward to viewing more of the world as seen through your eyes and captured by your camera! :popcorn:

Thank you very much, I'm sorry to hear about this stroke and admire your positive attitude, because indeed it's naturally more of a challenge than a problem! A bacterium had almost ended my life and caused a lot of damage, without the so-called ICD that I carry and the daily monitoring via the hospital I'd be dead in a very short period, so today I look at everything from a slightly different perspective.

The list with what I've not done in photography is much shorter than the other way around, nature-animal-macro is such an activity and that's why I try a butterfly project this summer. Several things aren't allowed anymore, once I had the idea to go skydiving and photographing (not allowed anymore) but I've a plan and it's called "drones" so who knows what other fun things will happen in the near future!

I try to use this time as well as possibl

In 2009 DW was diagnosed with an incurable cancer of the blood. The prognosis was less then 24 months, but depending on how she responded to treatments that might be extended. Drs advised us to do everything we could now, don't wait. She's going on her 10th yr, and other then the inconvience of treatments we've followed the Drs advise on doing. Then in January they found a suspicious lump in me, biopsy revealed aggressive cancer. Fortunately it was discovered early enough the surgery got it all. So, at last we are scheduled to leave out again next month.

I find a mono-pod quite a bit easier to use if I'm going to be moving around a lot. Much more mobile and quite a bit lighter than a tripod with almost the same stability.
And there's always a faster lens..

A monopod is more suitable for slowly moving and stationary objects, such as buildings, flowers or birds, but if you've ever been to a butterfly garden then you know that a monopod or tripod isn't sufficient, one moment you see a butterfly at 10 feet height and 50 inches away and 3 seconds later there is suddenly a butterfly next to you at 2 feet height and 10 inches from your camera. Responding quickly and adequately with a monopod in such a situation is impossible, let alone continuously retracting a monopod to take a photo high and low. That really doesn't work.

I was talking about what I find easier and more convenient. Mine has worked out very well for me in a wide variety of situations including some fast-moving objects like 180mph motorcycles.

I try to use this time as well as possibl

In 2009 DW was diagnosed with an incurable cancer of the blood. The prognosis was less then 24 months, but depending on how she responded to treatments that might be extended. Drs advised us to do everything we could now, don't wait. She's going on her 10th yr, and other then the inconvience of treatments we've followed the Drs advise on doing. Then in January they found a suspicious lump in me, biopsy revealed aggressive cancer. Fortunately it was discovered early enough the surgery got it all. So, at last we are scheduled to leave out again next month.

We all only live once, so I sincerely hope you and your wife can enjoy life and each other for as long as possible.
Get everything out of it and go crazy, what does it really matter what others think of you? I hope to see your contributions on TPF for a very long time to come.

Greta project idea! I like that you’re challenging yourself. Looking forward to seeing these.

Have you tried the 80mm macro?

In January, we visited the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory. It was one of our personal favorite places of our vacation. As you mentioned, the butterflies are flitting here and there at their own will and you have to be pretty fast to respond. Not only were there butterflies, the KW facility had tropical birds and plants as well. While they presented as much as they could with the space given, I do not think even a monopod would work in these situations. Because of the plant life, there is little room beyond your own personal space, and I would be afraid of tearing/ripping the plants, poking the person in front/behind. If your places were the same, the place is pretty crowded with everyone trying to get a picture. The people were very understanding and gave you your space and time. Everyone was pointing out the sights to the people around them and the staff even encouraged going through the exhibit more than once. Because of the humidity and temperature they have to keep the exhibit at, two rounds was enough for our grandson and I had to make do with that. I could have spent hours there. You did great! I can appreciate the issue with the gear. I always try to be courteous to people around me and so I think I could never take a pod into a situation like that.

Most reactions

Back