My daughter

MirandaJo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a black and white photo of my daughter that I love. This was taking in spur of the moment type thing while she was playing with her tea set outside. I am wondering if her hand coming up out of the corner with no arm showing- if that looks weird to some poeple or is that ok? :)

$Maykinb&w.jpg

Her hand looks huge and nose and marshmallow because you used a very short focal length and that distorts things up close.

MirandaJo said:
This is a black and white photo of my daughter that I love.

Now I wanna see the pics of the daughter you DON'T love..

MirandaJo said:

what he is trying to say is that you aren't being objective about the photos.

No hurt or offense intended but, imo, this picture is badly exposed, has perspective distortion because of the choice of focal length and is not well converted to B&W - but you see it as nice and OK to post for two reasons. First you are relatively new to this craft and second, because you love your daughter.

Everyone who takes pictures of people or things that they love must develop some objectivity about their work.
Viewers don't care how you feel about your daughter, we only care about the picture.

Lew

MirandaJo said:

what he is trying to say is that you aren't being objective about the photos.

No hurt or offense intended but, imo, this picture is badly exposed, has perspective distortion because of the choice of focal length and is not well converted to B&W - but you see it as nice and OK to post for two reasons. First you are relatively new to this craft and second, because you love your daughter.

Everyone who takes pictures of people or things that they love must develop some objectivity about their work.
Viewers don't care how you feel about your daughter, we only care about the picture.

Lew

OK, I was saying I love the PHOTO. The reason I like it so much is because she is in focus and not blurry like most my photos are... I like that fact. I know I still have a lot to learn.

Her hand looks huge and nose and marshmallow because you used a very short focal length and that distorts things up close.

Oh, well, I've read posts where apparently short lenses are o.k. for portraiture. Personally, I don't agree with that idea. So maybe that's her only lens.

I am wondering if her hand coming up out of the corner with no arm showing- if that looks weird to some poeple or is that ok?

I think it looks fine. Her hand is integral to the scene, therefore it needs to be included.

I don't much care for the sun's glare, though.

Last edited:
It's a nice, close-up look at a child you love! Your darling daughter. A pic doesn't need to be world-class to be enjoyed, especially if it is one's very own, personally-created photo. What The_Traveller, aka Lew, was talking about when he wrote:

"No hurt or offense intended but, imo, this picture is badly exposed, has perspective distortion because of the choice of focal length and is not well converted to B&W - but you see it as nice and OK to post for two reasons. First you are relatively new to this craft and second, because you love your daughter.

"

Well...what he was talking about is the way many mothers have a strong tendency toward viewing photos of their own children; that being through what was described last week here on TPF as "mommy goggles". And hey....that's fine...as I wrote above, "A pic doesn't need to be world-class to be enjoyed, especially if it is one's very own, personally-created photo. "

Oh, well, I've read posts where apparently short lenses are o.k. for portraiture. Personally, I don't agree with that idea. So maybe that's her only lens.

Yes, I only have the 18-55 that came with my camera and I have a 75-300 that I got to practice action photography on the Tball field. I was using the 18-55 for this photo tho.

I am wondering if her hand coming up out of the corner with no arm showing- if that looks weird to some poeple or is that ok?

I think it looks fine. Her hand is integral to the scene, therefore it needs to be included.

I don't much care for the sun's glare, though.

Thank you. I like the sun glare though. Been trying to master it for while now. :)

It's a nice, close-up look at a child you love! Your darling daughter. A pic doesn't need to be world-class to be enjoyed, especially if it is one's very own, personally-created photo. What The_Traveller, aka Lew, was talking about when he wrote:

"No hurt or offense intended but, imo, this picture is badly exposed, has perspective distortion because of the choice of focal length and is not well converted to B&W - but you see it as nice and OK to post for two reasons. First you are relatively new to this craft and second, because you love your daughter.

"

Well...what he was talking about is the way many mothers have a strong tendency toward viewing photos of their own children; that being through what was described last week here on TPF as "mommy goggles". And hey....that's fine...as I wrote above, "A pic doesn't need to be world-class to be enjoyed, especially if it is one's very own, personally-created photo. "

Thank you. Even if the photo had been of a different child I still would have liked it. Me loving the photo has nothing to do with it being my daughter. I love that its clear! :)

Most reactions

Back