My exciting yesterday...

Photographiend

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

I got in sat down and shut the door. Little did I know I was about to spend the next hour trapped in my car.

As soon as I shut my door the doors locked themselves, when I proceeded to try to start my car it wouldn't start, the dash would light up but that was it. I couldn't manually unlock the doors, I couldn't roll down the windows (believe me I got creative trying to get out, it wasn't happenin') I could listen to my radio however and operate my windshield wipers... lucky me.

THANK GOD I HAD MY PHONE!

AAA said they had never seen anything like it they were eventually able to get me out of my car but it involved slipping a heavy duty inflatable thing between the door and the door jam than pumping it full of air to create enough space to slip my key out to them to unlock the door.

But what really took the whole experience home for me was as soon as they got me out they were able to start the car. According to them what I experienced was a malfunction in the vehicles anti-theft system.

The comfort in all of this is in the knowledge that my car couldn't possibly be stolen with this system in place. It is a great system... when it is working properly. The down side is, mine is NOT and according to the local BMW service center there is nothing that can be done to repair it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try getting out from the trunk? You know, fold your back seat, get to the trunk and there's usually a mechanical lever that you can pull to let yourself out.... in case you got kidnapped.

Did you try getting out from the trunk? You know, fold your back seat, get to the trunk and there's usually a mechanical lever that you can pull to let yourself out.... in case you got kidnapped.

:blushing:----:lol:

My back seats don't fold down.

Leeroix - I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I am not in a hurry.

Wow, that's definitely bizarre!
And while I absolutely detested the book Christine (never saw the movie), I think I'd be sleeping with one eye open in case that car decides to come after you in the middle of the night. :lmao:

(side note: I detested the book because it was just poor writing, for Stephen King. It was his "gee I'm famous and now I've got to just keep churning this stuff out even if it's drivel" stage of writing and it, along with Pet Semetery and Cujo, were why I quit reading King for years).

I once had a car that would, at completely random times, decide it was time for the car alarm to go off. Mind you, the car alarm didn't even WORK, in the sense that you couldn't purposely turn it on when you locked the car. But once in a while, it would just decide to go off and when it did, since you couldn't intentionally turn it off or on with the remote, the ONLY way we ever discovered to turn it off was to actually open the hood and disconnect the battery. Pulling the fuse sometimes worked, but then sometimes when you put the fuse back in, it just started right back.
The first time it did that to me I was at work. The SECOND time I was at a shower for my niece, at a very posh home in an affluent neighborhood. One of our state senators, and one of our US senators was in attendance at this shower, and I drive up and park and then the alarm goes off and I have to get out, open the hood and disconnect the battery, while dressed to the nines. VERY smooth. :lmao:
But heck, at least it didn't lock me up in there!! :D

I had to...

Also btw if you pull out your headrest you can use the metal posts to smash your windows.

Wow, that's definitely bizarre!
And while I absolutely detested the book Christine (never saw the movie), I think I'd be sleeping with one eye open in case that car decides to come after you in the middle of the night. :lmao:

(side note: I detested the book because it was just poor writing, for Stephen King. It was his "gee I'm famous and now I've got to just keep churning this stuff out even if it's drivel" stage of writing and it, along with Pet Semetery and Cujo, were why I quit reading King for years).

I once had a car that would, at completely random times, decide it was time for the car alarm to go off. Mind you, the car alarm didn't even WORK, in the sense that you couldn't purposely turn it on when you locked the car. But once in a while, it would just decide to go off and when it did, since you couldn't intentionally turn it off or on with the remote, the ONLY way we ever discovered to turn it off was to actually open the hood and disconnect the battery. Pulling the fuse sometimes worked, but then sometimes when you put the fuse back in, it just started right back.
The first time it did that to me I was at work. The SECOND time I was at a shower for my niece, at a very posh home in an affluent neighborhood. One of our state senators, and one of our US senators was in attendance at this shower, and I drive up and park and then the alarm goes off and I have to get out, open the hood and disconnect the battery, while dressed to the nines. VERY smooth. :lmao:
But heck, at least it didn't lock me up in there!! :D

LMAO my car does that while I am driving it!

Zen and the art of motorcycle management , always a good read. Especially when they turn on you. Ed

IIRC it's a common problem with your car. One of your door lock actuators stuck, drew too much amperage and blew the fuse that controls them. If the fuse is not blown, then you need to replace the faulty actuator, this might be the cause in your situation as it seems the rest of the electrical system is being sketchy, so a lot of the power from the battery is being wasted on a stuck actuator that's just dumping it all straight to ground.

so this is either a very cheap $1 repair to toss some 20A fuses in place of some blown 15A ones, or you need to replace failed door lock actuator, which I'm sure BMW will charge heafy for (both parts and labor). One bad actuator and the rest of them won't work. You could unlock with a key because that mechanically unlocks the door and doesn't require the actuator to perform the same motion.

when BMW when busy making the ultimate driving machine, they built in a failsafe to keep you inside, always enjoying.

[/QUOTE]As soon as I shut my door the doors locked themselves, when I proceeded to try to start my car it wouldn't start, the dash would light up but that was it. I couldn't manually unlock the doors, I couldn't roll down the windows (believe me I got creative trying to get out, it wasn't happenin') I could listen to my radio however and operate my windshield wipers... lucky me.[/QUOTE]

You didn't by chance see Stephen King anywhere nearby did ya?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back