My family

Brooksphotographs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here are 2 shots I just recently did of my son and my fiance. Let me point out the problems first then let me know if you had any advice.

First up is my son Seth. Getting him to sit still for a few photos is a challenge. Just like any other child portraits I have done in the past you have to be quick. So I set up a SB800 camera right and a white reflector camera left. Was about 2pm and the sun was harsh and at a high point in the sky. Decided to look for some shade on the edge of the sunlight. My complaints about the picture is the tall blades of grass going across his leg and arm. It also hides the hands and feet. The background is not straight but I cant remember if it was a hill or not.
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Next is my Fiance. First things first. She is a real hardworking 9-5 woman. Tan lines are on most of us. :) With that being said the tan lines are distracting. I also made the mistake of leaving my ISO on 640 from some shots earlier. I paid for that mistake with the flat lighting you see. I had a SB800 camera right and using a shoot through reflector camera left diffusing direct sunlight. I would like to see more shadows in this picture. Damn me for not checking my ISO until after everything was done!
DSC_0063.jpg

The first one is cute. Nice lighting. I wish the grass line wasn't slanted.
The second is a bit to tight of a crop for my taste and as you said the tan lines are majorly distracting.

For me the tan lines in the second draw my eyes down (not in a perverted way) but they draw my eyes away from her face where the focus should be given.

I like the first one. good expression on your son's face.

Most reactions

Back