My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Petraio Prime said:
I wouldn't dream of calling myself a 'professional' photographer. Even I have standards.

Apparently terrorists and Al Queda members are also tired of being called "photographers". They feel it's demeaning to be lumped into the category of "photographer"> I was surprised by some of the points of view they expressed.

Terrorists 'sick of being treated like photographers' | newsarse.comAs onwe of them said, "“Photographers are a blight on society, and obviously I damn them all to Hell, but I find the assumption that carrying a camera makes me some sort of ‘photographer’ insulting in the extreme.”

Thank you Benjamin for that insight :thumbup:

Will have to give it a shot at the next shoot ;)

No. You want a long lens: It makes the face look better. Many pros use lenses in the 90mm-180mm range, sometimes even longer.

Taken with 180mm:

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

Taken with 350mm:

0606040-R1-012-4A.jpg

Taken with 350mm:

0606040-R1-050-23A.jpg

Taken with 350mm:

0606039-R1-077-37.jpg

Taken with 350mm:

0606040-R1-020-8A.jpg

Yes I agree that many Pro's use very long lenses. Gilles Benssimon loved to shoot 400mm f2.8 outdoors for fashion. I am just sharing what I use for Fashion, not Beauty in a confined space i.e. the studio for what I do only. There are NO hard fast RULES in this game.

Last edited:
"many pros" eh???

Do you even know who Benjamin Kanarek actually is?

That's OK, I sometimes wonder about who I am and what I am doing in this BIZ!!!:lol:

By the way you might enjoy this little Harper's BAZAAR China 14 page story that is in the August 2010 Issue...A little making of Video as well.

All shot with my APS-C cropped lens 40mm LTD, i.e. 60mm in FF.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

Incontrovertable,eh? :(

Yes, incontrovertable.

http://inyourface.ocregister.com/files/2008/08/greta_garbo-230p.jpg

You can easily tell this was taken with a long lens.

While benjikan's posts usually bore me, (Sorry benjikan, the fashion world bores me these days, it's not you) Benjamin Kanarek has forgotten more about photography than you have learned either behind the camera, or in those philosophy classes you hold so dear.

Let me see here, whom should I listen to for advice on this particular subject? A well known and well respected photographer in his field who makes his living from photography, or a guy who writes books discussing the philosophy of whether a tree makes a sound if it falls in the wood when no one is around.

That answer is incontrovertible! :mrgreen:

So benjikan, tell us more.

p.s. Petraio, if your going to write books, even philosophy books, spelling is a useful skill to have. it is incontrovertible not incontrovertable.

OOOPPPSSS...Didn't expect this post to get so heated.

Ummmmm, well...Let me see. I like usin stuff to tek "piTchers" and sometymes I use different stuff to get different looks. I lyke taken photos..ummmmm....a long lens looks impressive to dah chicks and they get reel exciterd wen I use dem. Short lenses make me feeel self consicouch so I dunt like usen em around dah chicks cuz they make me feel like a small lens. Yah get my meenin? Duz diz elp undestandn why sum people like long lenzez?

Yes, incontrovertable.

http://inyourface.ocregister.com/files/2008/08/greta_garbo-230p.jpg

You can easily tell this was taken with a long lens.

p.s. Petraio, if your going to write books, even philosophy books, spelling is a useful skill to have. it is incontrovertible not incontrovertable.

It's "you're" not "your"

P.S. Not attacking you. I'm just a grammar nazi.

You're not being nice! Now pick up your books and stand in the corner of the class...;)

Ben ... by reading most of the your posts in the past (especially when people had -ve comments). I think your E.Q. is pretty high. :)

Those guys use long lens so you dont get as much of the background so the subject is very isolated. If you are shooting with white fashion background in a studio, all you see is white background. I guess I dont understand why on earth you want to use long lenses. Maybe I am just making another "newbie" comment LOL.

Those guys use long lens so you dont get as much of the background so the subject is very isolated. If you are shooting with white fashion background in a studio, all you see is white background. I guess I dont understand why on earth you want to use long lenses. Maybe I am just making another "newbie" comment LOL.

The perspective you get is different.

I guess you are right.. Only if the depth of the subject is pretty deep though (i.e. legs stretch toward you)

I guess you are right.. Only if the depth of the subject is pretty deep though (i.e. legs stretch toward you)

Not just that. The nose becomes more prominent the shorter the lens.

See:

http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/focallengtharticle.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1373/1196701508_5d3976b744.jpg

Uncategorized Grade 11 Communications Technology

Last edited:
Ben ... by reading most of the your posts in the past (especially when people had -ve comments). I think your E.Q. is pretty high. :)

I Have a 13.5 E.Q. and a 0.0043 I.Q. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back