My favorite for c&C

good eye! thats a great tip! Thanks, I never remove stuff that big, since it was suggested, thought I would see how it looks.

c.cloudwalker, you crack me up. You always say the quiet thing out loud :lol:

OP- The shot would be more powerful if it was just the structure, without all of the distractions outside of it along the horizon. The increased DOF is a double edged sword here as it gives your fading path, but also gives you visible distractions. The most intrusive distraction in my eyes is that little bridge turnout on the left.

Overall I like it, however the light in the upper left seems distracting to me.

The shot would be more powerful if it was just the structure, without all of the distractions outside of it along the horizon. The increased DOF is a double edged sword here as it gives your fading path, but also gives you visible distractions. The most intrusive distraction in my eyes is that little bridge turnout on the left.

Interesting, I cropped the photo to include the pop out bridge on the left, I liked it, as for the distractions along the horizon, Thats the start of the Tulsa Oil fields, which are somewhat historic, this bridge was a railray bridge that connected to the oil fields back during the oil boom.

cool shot. i personally think its neat. maybe not 100% strong due to the background, but you cant help that. the edited version (besides the reflection) is a lot better. nice work.

i got a few shots similar to this from a night shoot i did, a few people want copies but ive never sold prints before. what size and if you dont mind PMing me what you charge?

This is a nice shot I like it very much

I prefer this latest version. The building was ugly and added nothing, but I see why you want the width and to keep the handrail on the right. Editing out the building does get rid of that. Nickpav, nice catch on the reflection. Maybe you could add a bonfire where the building was :)

I only just noticed that the walkway extends out to a point on the horizon where it disappears. That was a nice surprise, however it bothers me a little that i did not notice this the first time i saw it as my eyes were immediatly dragged to the left of the image to the area of where the walkway extends out and is bright. I thought it may help to know what someone thought just looking at it from a non technical point of view.

That just makes there more to look at and see differently each time!

I agree that light on the left is a distraction, I think the only way to fix it will be reshoot it, or crop it, I dont think cropping it will look good. I will mess with it though to see.

The pedestrian bridge itself is very nice looking but the background is the pits. Not being there it is hard to say how I would have framed the shot myself. Maybe facing the other way? But would the background be even worse then? From what I'm seeing, I would have framed vertical to get rid of the background and end up with nothing but the bridge. I believe it would be make for a much stronger image.

As is, to me, it is just another night shot. But my first post was more of a reaction to the way you introduced the shot than the image itself.

@Bitter Jeweler: "Hey, post something of your's c.c." Sorry, although I use C&C in my photo class because it is very useful for beginners, I have no intention of subjecting myself to C&C here. I've had plenty of it from editors for 25 years but that is a bit different from getting it from someone who picked up a camera 2 weeks ago, learned about the RoT 1 week ago and wants to apply it to everything because he/she doesn't yet understand that the rules are nothing more than guidelines. :lmao:

Not to mention I prefer to remain anonymous.

I will check the horizontal crop, thats a good idea, I also plan to shoot from the other direction, it looks towards Tulsa, I think it would look better that way. This shot was not planned, I was walking back to the other side to leave and turned around and shot it. Next time some more thought will go into it.

There is a great lesson here. This bridge being in Tulsa you can easily go back to it. But if it had been in another city where you never go? You couldn't then just go back.

Seeing comes easy to some people but, for most, there's a steep learning curve and that's why there are so many bad photos here. The thing to remember is that today's bad photographer could be tomorrow's genius.

One has to learn the technical aspect of photo work but that is not enough. One needs to learn to see and I often suggest that people take a design class just for that reason. A photo book on composition is not enough imo as it skips a lot of things that are seen as only applying to other forms of art which I think is stupid. I learned most of photography through books and manuals but I'm sure glad I actually took classes in design. I found the reactions from the other students and, of course, from the professor extremely useful.

With a book, if you don't get whatever principle, there's no one to tell you then you post here and the people who do know get drowned out in the noise from those who don't. :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back