My first attempt at a time lapse video.....

KevinPutman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well folks, here it is.
Put together from about 2000 consecutive images taken in a 45minute time frame. (Give or take).
No PP done whatsoever, just put together and uploaded.
It sucks, I know. Yesterday it was windy and the water looked amazing, but I messed up =/
But oh well, it's the experience that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
2000 images in 45 minutes? That's almost 45 images in 1 minute for a scene that doesn't change that fast. I think you could have gotten away with 1 image every 10 seconds for a total of 6 images every minute.

Could have just shot video lol.

But yeah, no need for 45 images a minute imo.

Last one I did was one shot every 30 seconds for 8 hours. It turned out OK for what it was.

45 shots a minute is a bit much......

2000 images in 45 minutes? That's almost 45 images in 1 minute for a scene that doesn't change that fast. I think you could have gotten away with 1 image every 10 seconds for a total of 6 images every minute.

Well, I don't think it was excessive. Given video is 28-30 frames per SECOND.
I think the longer your duration of "filming" the more time between shots is acceptable. Like Strads 8 hour snow accumulation video.
Given your idea of 6 images per minute, how long would the video be? 9 seconds? 18 seconds? Would you show each image for one second?

Given your idea of 6 images per minute, how long would the video be? 9 seconds? 18 seconds? Would you show each image for one second?

The way I put my video together was 3fps. With the 2000 images in 45 minutes you could easily do 24fps or 30fps and get away with it, but at that rate, lik was stated before, you might as will just shoot video and speed it up.

To the OP, Personally, I think its a great start. I also think that you might have a much more dramatic effect if you were to start an hour raelier, and go until the sun is gone.

Keep posting, and please keep telling us what you're doing!

I would have shot longer than 45 minutes. I would have included the sun actually being visual. Once you have your frames, you can set the fps.

I just don't see any hard fast rules to time lapse video. I mean, he condensed 45 minutes into 20 seconds. It has the time lapse feel. Sure, he could have shot video, and dropped frames. That wouldn't teach him anything. The more of this one does, the more they understand the timing and output goal. More frames, smoother, longer video. Fewer frames, jerky, short video.

For what he did, I felt the timing to be perfect.

I do agree that it would be more interesting to start much earlier, with the sun higher in the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBijDU8PpE

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was going to start earlier, but I got out there late =/

But thanks for the feedback! as I said, this was mostly just for learning, and I'll go out again next week and do it again ^-^

The biggest issue with this time lapse is that there is not much movement. Sure the aloud moves but the seen gets dark to fast to really be able to watch it.

When doing time lapse of clouds you really need some interesting looking clouds. Your seen basically had one cloud that was not to interesting.

Cloud time lapse typically look better burring the day. For the time of day you shot doing a time lapse of a highway or something similar would be more interesting as you would get light trails from the cars.

The biggest issue with this time lapse is that there is not much movement. Sure the aloud moves but the seen gets dark to fast to really be able to watch it.

When doing time lapse of clouds you really need some interesting looking clouds. Your seen basically had one cloud that was not to interesting.

Cloud time lapse typically look better burring the day. For the time of day you shot doing a time lapse of a highway or something similar would be more interesting as you would get light trails from the cars.

Yeah, the day before I shot this one I had some amazing movement going on, with waves, clouds, and an even more beautiful sunset. But I messed up the shoot, so I suffered =/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back